Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

In need of a tc gear shift lever.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts
Default In need of a tc gear shift lever.......

I'll post a few pics of what took a dive. Nothing major, just a pita to switch from unlocked to locked with Channel Locks. Roads are fairly snow/packed snow/ice covered this time of year here and I'm always in and out of lock. If anyone has just the shifter (with or without rubber isolator) I'd be grateful. The nylon cup as you can see is wasted, will not hold the snap ring under the cross shaft and keep the ball and cup in place. If I was at work I'd butcher the isolator off and weld on stainless rod and use a brass airline fitting (milled to size with groove for snap ring) but I'm not at work today.....and will only be working one day next week (time off finally). I know CDL's are worth their weight in gold but if someone has a busted unit I can snag the shifter with ball cup off of that would be just as golden.

Attached Thumbnails In need of a tc gear shift lever.......-img_0171.jpg   In need of a tc gear shift lever.......-img_0169.jpg   In need of a tc gear shift lever.......-img_0168.jpg  
Old 12-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem. Ordered a new cup from RN and installed it on the shifter. Getting the cup on the ball is a serious PITA though (heated it in very hot water and then tried to push it on, failed, cussed, drank a beer, and repeated many times until I got it) Works like new now though.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Camel Trophy

I have UHMW at work, may just make the ball and socket.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:41 PM
Camel Trophy

Fixed!

Shifts effortlessly, lock/unlock, high/low. Nothing spent on parts for which RN wanted $12 bucks for just the socket. I'm not cheap I just thought I could do better than retail rape. I made several improvements......

Stick now taller (now a single shaft lengthened 1-1/2") without any interference to interior and wears heat shrink tube protection from **** to socket. Made the socket cup out of UHMW that is resistant to heat/cold and remains slick without oil. Snap ring sits on a shelf instead of in a groove. Sorry, no pics, too busy and had to get done before the Rose Bowl started. Used 10W oil judiciously at every joint (including cross shaft slides). Better than stock. Fixed all slop in every aspect. I have a TIG at work and a small lathe. I don't know what the vibration damper was for, the stick doesn't vibrate/shake or even move when in motion both high and low nor does it bother my hand if I rest it on the stick. Must be a parts bin spare off some other vehicle. I put one more 15 degree bend in the shaft so the **** sits square in my palm and I no longer have to bend to engage nor look for it in the dark, it's just there where it needs to be.

Customized for me, by me. Sparty time!!!! Rose Bowl Champs!