Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Need Valve Cover Gasket Help From Fellow Member Near Myrtle Beach?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Does the intake manifold NEED to come off in order to get after the rocker covers? I thought there was enough clearance to do them without pulling the manifold. The reason I ask Is because I did my valve covers while doing the valley pan so the manifold was ready out. But does it have to? Jac, you'll see when you go to start popping out all the fuel injector clips, the wiring harness is pretty darn user friendly. Pretty much every plug you unplug will only reach to exactly where it's supposed to go on reinstall. It would be pretty darn tricky to put a plug where it doesn't belong. I wod also carb clean the mess out of your butterfly valve and top of the plenum while it's off. If lure really gonna go after it and can't find help (hopefully tweak will hook you up) pm me and we'll see if I can't draw you up sown diagrams etc.
You'll be surprised. Pretty straight forward.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I don't think it does. I was doing a whole top end reseal. Well, at least I thought I was with the aftermarket cheapo gaskets. The reseal happened with the factory ones ;-)

Old 04-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gaskets

Old 04-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tweakrover
Gaskets
Basket works equally as well...

Old 04-27-2011, 10:49 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tweakrover
If lr baskets were so great my driveway wouldn't look like I had the Exxon valdese parked out front
I need to find one of these. Anyone know where I can find an OEM basket? Mine is missing...Are these like the wicker trays for VWs?

Back to the original subject...anyone posted pics of what he can expect to see when doing the job?

Old 04-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm on my iPhone so it's a bit difficult. But the link for the photos from my valley gasket are in the thread I started titled "need help brainstorming" there are like fifty photos. All of the top half of the motor. (about six of which are helpful. Haha)

Old 04-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Darn spell correct

Old 04-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tweak do you have any idea what Turf is talking about? Is the valley pan gasket something that should be done while all of this is off. I planned on keeping the truck and building it up. I did noticed I get a little white smoke on crank and now I have a whining power steering pump, super duper. This truck is quickly becoming a part time job.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I was gonna leave the valley pan gasket suggestion alone as that is something you wouldn't want to do by yourself without help whereas the rocker covers I'm confident you could do by yourself. If you've got some help it might be worth a consideration (Danny don't kill me) but Atlantic British sells a gasket set that has valley pan, valley end gaskets, rocker cover gaskets And some other miscellany for like pretty cheap. All your top half gaskets (other than head gaskets). If you've got the help and the truck is gonna be apart you may as well do them all. It can be done in a day. But if you just want to do what needs to be done valve covers are easy. Did you find the link for my pics yet?

Old 04-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jacumja
Well played Spike on getting the forum and this discussion back to its original purpose. I won't knock anyone off the monkey bars as long as they don't push me. Fyi, Tater is a bad term in my fair state for a person that is a graduate or fan of that agricultural college in the upstate.
I love Ron White, if you have ever heard him you know what I'm talking about.

Quick Reply: Need Valve Cover Gasket Help From Fellow Member Near Myrtle Beach?