Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Never enough tire threads...when you're the one shopping.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 12:09 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turf63
So goat, you've got 265/75's with a 2" lift and no trimming? That's pretty sweet. I'm go na go 265/75 soon I think. Did you have to adjust your steering stops?
I wouldn't go with the 265s if I did it again. They are what came with the rig. The video is for illustration only. In fact I just bought a 235/85 BFG KM2 for my full-sized spare, and am planning to swap the rest within the next year.

The 265s are real close to rubbing at full tuck, it makes me nervous every time. The 265s rub like sin when turning lock-to-lock, I haven't adjusted the stops yet and don't plan to, hence switching to 235s. I'd like to get that last bit of my turning radius back.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

So it's the width that bugs you most? The height of the tire is good though? Do you need a spare tire offset with that fifth wheel?

Old 05-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by turf63
So it's the width that bugs you most? The height of the tire is good though? Do you need a spare tire offset with that fifth wheel?
Yeah that much width on a Rover tire is just unnecessary. No problems at all with the height, at least not so far. I haven't disconnected my swaybar (yet) because I'm worried about dislocating the spring, so I can't say for sure that I couldn't rub at the top. If I did, I'd simply adjust the bump stops, since it would still have plenty of flex.

I can't say for sure on the wheel carrier, my tire is scheduled to arrive in the mail on Monday. It will be close, I honestly may have to "adjust" the bumper a bit, or fabricate a new carrier. I hope to have it mounted on the door before next Saturday's trip to the dunes.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GOAT, you are the man and I promise I've been listening to you, my lack of tire knowledge showed here, as I didn't realize the 265's you were talking about were the same height as the 235's i'm looking at! So I guess 32" tall is 32" tall, huh?!?!

My only other question I have, which will be answered once my used MED kit shows up, is how much more lift your OME HD springs sit you then the slightly used MED springs I will have. I'm guessing it could make a big difference in how my truck fits the 32" tire. I've always heard the 2" OME is truly about 1.6" of lift, not sure about the HD.

So, as soon as I get the kit I will take all measurements before and after and compare, and THEN I will probably be confident in my tire order. Can't wait.

Anyone else in central FL that wants to go wheeling soon with a young enthusiastic-inexperienced idiot, hit me up!

Old 05-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon
GOAT, you are the man and I promise I've been listening to you, my lack of tire knowledge showed here, as I didn't realize the 265's you were talking about were the same height as the 235's i'm looking at! So I guess 32" tall is 32" tall, huh?!?!

My only other question I have, which will be answered once my used MED kit shows up, is how much more lift your OME HD springs sit you then the slightly used MED springs I will have. I'm guessing it could make a big difference in how my truck fits the 32" tire. I've always heard the 2" OME is truly about 1.6" of lift, not sure about the HD.

So, as soon as I get the kit I will take all measurements before and after and compare, and THEN I will probably be confident in my tire order. Can't wait.

Anyone else in central FL that wants to go wheeling soon with a young enthusiastic-inexperienced idiot, hit me up!
I wasn't trying to give you a hard time. For future reference, the equation for tire diameter is Section Width x Ratio x 2 (convert to inches) + Rim Diameter. So a 265/75-R16 should be 31.65", and a 235/85-R16 should be 31.73". Of course the sizes are only nominal, but the equation will get you close.

I don't know how much lift I have, since the springs were on the rig when I bought it. However, comparing to other Discos I've seen, and adjusting for tire size, I'm pretty sure I have no more than 2" of lift. Maybe 2" rear and 1.5" front, considering the small bit of rake I have. Out of curiosity, what are the spring codes on the kit you are getting? Because I believe there is some confusion over nomenclature in medium vs. HD springs. I know they make a ridiculously heavy duty spring, constant rate, which is pretty much expedition use only. Mine are heavy-duty variable rate, which might be what some would call medium duty. I'll check my spring codes next time I'm under the rig.

I would also say just put the springs on, and we'll take bumpstop-to-axle measurements. Or center-of-wheel to top-of-wheel-arch measurements. That way we'll know how much lift you have in comparison to me. Worst case scenario is you have very minimal trimming or need a 1/2" spacer under each spring seat. If the 245s make you feel better you can go that route, but you'll lose about 1/2" of differential clearance compared to the 235/85s.

If I were in Central FL I'd hit you up, I've never actually had the chance to wheel with another Disco.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Winching

Mounted my spare, and I can confirm that in my case at least, a 235/85-R16 fits on the rear door with the stock carrier.

I should note that my 235s measure roughly 31-7/8" diameter while my 265s measure 31-1/8". That is at least partly due to the fact that my 265s have roughly 10,000 miles on them and are showing some wear, while the 235s are brand new.

I'm don't plan on upgrading the other four until next year, later this year depending on my summer income, so it's anybody's guess how well they will fit. I don't anticipate any problems though.

Attached Thumbnails Never enough tire threads...when you're the one shopping.-spare-tire.jpg  

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 05-09-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

That's a bad *** looking tire. Good call blurring the license plate. I was just gearing up to steal your identity

Old 05-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Winching

Thanks, I think it looks much better than before. I've been saving that extra rim for a while too. Yeah, I don't think you'd really get too far with just a license plate number, but Photoshop was already open...

Old 05-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't think you'll run into any problems with the 32" tire, even after removing the sways. The camel trophy trucks had 32" tires, 7.50-16's. And they ran at stock height, although with HD springs. The 7.50-16 is a narrower tire than the 235/85, but not by too much.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

265/75/16 TreadWrights..is what i roll with..they grab on rocks really darn well....i love them......i got 2" but I trimmed and rolled the fenders to be sure

You have to adjust steering stops if your at 2" lift and 32"....if I were to do it again...id go with 235's but the extra width is nice on rocks

I have all my sways removed...no problems with 3K miles...i would never ever go off road with swaybars on..thats asking for it...but it really depends how hardcore you get

Last edited by thehun; 05-09-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Never enough tire threads...when you're the one shopping.