Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New 98 disco owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 11:57 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 98 disco owner

Hey im a new disco owner its a 98 50th anniversary edition. Its got 149k miles on it and im trying to make it my dd/work truck. Right now im trying to reg it in ct where i live. The disco has been neglected and sat for awhile periods of up to 2-3 years only rarely being start up. I got it for free from my father and only put $500 into it so far. Engine is strong and drives well. It recently snowed here in southeast connecticut and it drove like a champ. I put a brand new exhaust from the y pipe and back. New plugs+wires, new batt, and air filter. I reused old o2 sensors since they were fine and cleaned them just to be sure. They cel is still on preventing me from passing emissions and my temps run out on the 23rd. The codes that came up were short in upstream o2, and the other 9 were misfires in 3,5,6 with dam to cat and excess emissions. I just bought full set of delphi coils for $93 thats including ship. My heater fan is clogged by a mouse nest and need to remove enough to clean. Any help and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Look for chewed wires. Then look some more

Old 12-18-2016, 10:57 AM
4wd Low

The heater works, its just clogged. Theere are no longer any mice in it. And so far the only elec problems i have are from missing fuses. I have the heater unbolted and free, i can only lower about a 1/4 in. There's just so much crap shoved in right there i cant move it enough to clean it. I took the glove box out and thought i could unbolt what i thought was the lower bracket for the glove box but it wont budge. Ill take som pics today. Btw the engine is coated in heavy oil due to my fathers half *** repair job on the tranny cooler lines. The lines themselves rotted out completely and you should see the jury rig. Funny thing is with it spewing oil everywhere actually kept the engine compartment well preserved.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Once the fan motor is loose and it's electrical connector removed it should just fall out of the housing with a little moving of the wiring loom around it. Fairly mundane task actually. It's the same with many vehicles. Might wanna glue some screen around the intake to keep it from happening again. The short in an upstream O2 is one big reason you might be getting misfires. Both upstreams are main players in how the engine performs. The short might be internal to the sensor and since you drop dead on the 23rd you might want to order em now. Amazon has them and they're generally the cheapest. NTK/NGK's - https://www.amazon.com/NGK-25044-Oxy...productDetails

Old 12-18-2016, 06:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

While I'm thinking here the PVC system is a fairly stupid setup. There is a device in the passenger valve cover that is supposed to separate oil from vacuum and it's usually one solid mass of carbon instead of a wiggle thing. If it still exists in the cover try to remove it and be very gentle removing otherwise it will snap without a thought. That too has allot to do with how the engine runs and I've witnessed a couple that had been neglected for many years that actually built up so much ring blow by in the crank it allowed the valley pan to bulge up and create a perfect mold of the bottom of the intake manifold.....

The cats at 149k are probably not even solid anymore. If they turn inside their can they will block exhaust and also create a misfire condition (overfuel). Engine cooling is another misfire area that gets hartily overlooked and if your overheating it will make the motor a slug. Temp gauge should always look relaxed, if it's past midway on the gauge it's overheating which is more than likely the fan clutch.

The mileage on the truck is right in the ballpark for needing many sensors replaced, they where only designed for 100k at best. There is a write-up of things to take care of in the tech section. Not a bad idea to go through them until you get it to pass smog.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:40 PM
4wd Low
Default Changed coils but now won't run

Hey guys sorry about the delay phone died and had to get a new one. Changed all coils and hooked it all back up, sparks fires but won't run any ideas will help. I gonna try the alarm to see if it's the culprit keeping my fingers crossed. With taxes in 2 months I'm gonna do a major overhaul of the electrical and other major systems.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:44 AM
4wd Low

I believe I found the culprit. My father neglected to mention that 6 years ago when he replaced the fuel pump he used one out of an f250 and he almost exclusively burned cheap gas