Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the forum & new 1999 Disco 2 owner with questions... PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation New to the forum & new 1999 Disco 2 owner with questions... PLEASE HELP!!

My name is Jason and a couple of weeks ago I bought a pretty nice 99 Disco 2. Ive been lurking around the forums since then getting to know this new vehicle that I've grown to love so much.

Heres my problem,

I bought some mechanical gauges today and installed them. I got everything buttoned up and took her for a drive. The ses light came on and it started acting weird.

What I did was probably wrong in my installation but I tapped into the oil pressure switch under the alternator completely removing it and running line out of the hole... thats the first thing.

Second thing was I had a coolant leak coming from under the throttle housing so I simply spliced the 2 lines together....

Third I disconnected the temp sensor to tap into that and didnt have the right fitting so I just put the housing back in with out the actual sensor in it to block off the hole and keep the coolant from coming out.

Also to get my volt gauge going I simply tapped into the fuse panel and caught power off a fuse and for the lights on the gauges tapped into the interior light fuse....

Now it wont start properly and the ses light is on, it idles higher than normal and Im freaking out!!!!!

Please someone help me, I love this truck and dont wanna mess it up. I only drove it for about 2 mins.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Well, if I'm reading correctly, you do not have the coolant temperature sensor connected? If that is the case, your ECM has no way of knowing what temperature the coolant is. This alone is more than likely turning on the SES light. That sensor HAS to remain connected.
From Rave:
In the event of an ECT sensor signal failure any of the following symptoms may be observed:
l Difficult cold start.
l Difficult hot start.
l Driveability concern.
l MIL illuminated.
l Instrument cluster temperature warning lamp illuminated.
l Temperature gauge reads excessively hot.
l Temperature gauge reads excessively cold.
l Cooling fan will not run.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine ran like a POS when it had a bad temp sensor. I replaced it and she ran better than ever. --eh well, as good as a disco can run.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Out of curiosity. Arent two temp sensors in a DII? One on the bottom of the radiator and another visible in the center top of the engine below the top manifold. Dont these average their two different temps to give the temp shown from the OBDII reader. That is what I remember reading from the RAV awhile back.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:23 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by bosshogt
Out of curiosity. Arent two temp sensors in a DII? One on the bottom of the radiator and another visible in the center top of the engine below the top manifold. Dont these average their two different temps to give the temp shown from the OBDII reader. That is what I remember reading from the RAV awhile back.
Rave 18-2-18:
The thermostat monitoring sensor is located in the radiator, adjacent the bottom hose. The ECM compares the temperature measured by the thermostat monitoring sensor to the temperature measured by the ECT sensor. If the difference between the two readings is too great, the ECM determines the thermostat is stuck. In this case, the ECM registers a fault code in its memory.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Mudding

The sensor I'm speaking of is just behind the alternator and a/c condenser. I bought a OBD II scanner today so I can pull codes and what. The coolant sensor was what the problem was. I had to order a new one today because I broke the old old..... Yeah!!!

I'm planning on doing a bit of work to this truck, my only hopes are that this isnt gonna be a pain in the ars every inch of the way... guess I'll find out.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:49 PM
Mudding

Problem solved and running like a champ, thank God!!!!!!!

Old 09-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Pro Wrench

Glad to hear!