Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

new alternator, any good "while im in there" parts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new alternator, any good "while im in there" parts?

obviously the belt as well, but anything else i should do while im poking around replacing the alt?

also... i remember seeing a thread about alternator selection, i wouldnt mind spending a bit more to get a higher rated alt as ive got some lights going on in the (somewhat...) near future. the math says the stock alt should be fine but if there are some good higher rated drop in options for not outrageous money id be into that as well.

thanks for the help guys

Old 03-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

See https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...or-amps-46591/ for a list of amps vs various items turned on. The stock alternator is 100 amp. A Range Rover version that will bolt up is 120. But you may not need it based on driving habits.

As far as extras to check - anything that the belt turns. So before taking apart, "listen" with a stick or long screw driver to water pump, power steering pump, even old alternator. You may hear quite a lot of noise. Gives you a base line to compare against after install. You would also want to eyeball the belt running on the water pump pulley and make sure no wobble. And spin fan clutch both cold and warmed up, should feel like peanut butter inside, not freewheel. When belt is off you can check things for any slight roughness in turning (Include idler pulleys). If taking off fan, mark "front" before removal.

On the electrical side, remove both battery clamps and clean up, plus follow (-) to ground bond on frame near lower corner of radiator (clean and re-attach, little vaseline over it). Also remove and clean up the two wire's in front of fuse box. Once comes from alternator, the other is a short lead that goes to battery. Make sure fuse links in fuse box have clean and tight connections.

Attached Thumbnails new alternator, any good "while im in there" parts?-p1120271.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-23-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Winching

very cool, thanks
i think the idler is probably due as well, as i think i remember poking around and it making noise last time i had the hood up.

ill look into that RR alt... is that the best bet for an "upgrade"?

Old 03-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Your indy alternator shop may offer an alternative as well. What is best depends on what amp load you will have. I've got a E350 van at the office that had to have a 250 amp alternator to run 2000 watt sinewave inverter for some computer gear. Each expedition is different. Some guys have shaved off some amps by converting various lights to LED.

BTW just turned 287,000 on my 93 300TE - wish I had a diesel.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Winching

yeah i really like the diesel (has 205k on it now), i test drove an 08 bluetec about a month ago but just found that w211 interior to not be to my liking (might be ok in black though, i hate creme interiors)... incredible car as far as road manners are concerned though, and felt like a sports car compared to my w124 hah
ill likely wait around for the w212 to get a little cheaper and pick up a CPO bluetec... the new interiors are amazing places to spend time.
on the other hand its hard to argue with the simple non-turbo 95... but i will probably replace it with something newer in the not too distant future, need to get the Rolls done first though.

this was the alternator thread i remember reading
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...natives-46547/
i see some mention in there about the "green machine" at around 200A, found this:
ALTERNATORS
dont see anything on their online store listed for LR parts, but sent them an email as there seems to be a smaller selection of stuff in the store than what they describe on their alternator page.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Definitely do not throw away your old alternator even if you get a replacement.

I had the enjoyment of trading a 96 Bronco XLT for an 86 420SEL and in my opinion that was an incredible road car. It had no problem keeping up with the 86.5 928 I later bought for wife as an anniversary present. She did not really appreciate the Porsche though and I ended up having to drive it as well. So I just rotated the two to keep either from sitting too long undriven. I really miss the Benz more than the Porsche since they both had to find new homes once the upkeep rared it's nasty head.

A lady down the street has her husbands 560SEL that is also an 86 with only 80K on it and a newer (93 or so) 300E. I was trying to get her to sell me the 560, but she's more into keeping it and getting rid of the 300E which her daughter took her for a ride on financially.
I really would like to get that 560, it is the charcoal with that damn red leather interior. My 420 had the dark gray with the saddle interior and those seats were the most comfortable I have ever had. I loved the overall size and handling of that SEL (W126?).

For a large chariot, it was a real cruiser. I hear the 600 was even more awesome. I read about the crew from Car and Driver took a stock one from NYC to Road Atlanta, departing NYC Friday morning, drove non-stop to Atlanta, ran 24 hours on the Road Atlanta course and returned to NYC for Monday. No mods, no tire changes, nothing but a hard run. With no problems.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 05-21-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I just posted a few upgrade options on another thread here recently. There are a few really expensive options as well I didn't post. Also, you can get a brand new Denso for $200 from BP.

You could also buy Tom's cable set. It's a great upgrade while you're in there.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Winching

got a link/info on that cable set

thanks again for the help guys, good info

Old 03-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I really would like to get that 560, it is the charcoal with that damn red leather interior. My 420 had the dark gray with the saddle interior and those seats were the most comfortable I have ever had. I loved the overall size and handling of that SEL (W126?).
yup w126. awesome cars, great size.

i think the new E is approaching roughly that size now. amazing how the cars have grown. the bluetec hits some impressive numbers for highway economy as well, which is a big attraction in my eyes.
merc is having a lot of issues with the new 7 spd transmissions though, and thats part of the reason i havent jumped on a w211 as well... shame because it really is an incredible car (nasty interior aside).

Old 03-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Rock Crawling

About the idler, it is easy and cheap to replace the bearing and reuse everything else. It is a common bearing.

Quick Reply: new alternator, any good "while im in there" parts?