Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New CD player Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New CD player Help

My 98 has the factory tape player so I bought a Alpine CD player to replace it. I've wired in many CD players on other vehicles, but they were American cars and it was pretty straight forward..........Black=Ground
Red=power
Yellow or blue=antennea
Misc colored wires=speaker wires

Basically is there anything different about my Rover?.

Also, will I need a "Dash Kit" to install the CD player?. Its just usually a plastic piece that acts as a filler for the plastic dash pieces that get removed from the factory radio head unit. IF I need one I'm pretty sure Walmart, Best Buy etc wont carry one for a Rover right?

Old 04-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

LAND ROVER PARTS - FINISHER RADIO CONSOLE R/R CLC & DISCOVERY I, II

This is the filler you are talking about, I think. I'm not sure how required it is, it just snaps into the bottom of the radio area.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey you don't need one. And if you bought an aftermarket head unit then it should come with this plastic part that goes around the face of the head unit. Nothing else is needed. I just recently installed 4 new pioneer speakers and a pioneer head unit.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Ahhhhh, the student becomes the teacher. Haha.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

AKdisco; what is wrong with the OEM radio? Is it in good shape? I'll take it off your hands if in working condition.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by LRD2&ME
AKdisco; what is wrong with the OEM radio? Is it in good shape? I'll take it off your hands if in working condition.
Yeah theres something wrong with it..................It doesnt Fawking play CD's!!! LOL

Um you really want my original head unit????? WHY??????....you must be a "purist" haha

Old 04-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Always nice to have the original equipment when looking to restore in stock original condition.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I like OEM radios too, but that's just because most aftermarket radios are the opposite of intuitive. I hate having hunt for the freakin' power button or volume controls because all of the buttons are the exact same size or because instead of an on/off control they have some sort of multi-function source button that is also hidden. Pet peeve.

I did however find a land rover CD player for my 03, but it doesn't quite fit correctly... but at least it plays cd's and I can turn it off without reading the destructions.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:22 PM
TReK
Received 472 Likes on 389 Posts

AK...just a thought...why replace with a CD player? Have you no ipod? IMO, CD's are going the way of the cassette tape in the not too distant future. Particularly in the car where vibration and bumps cause problems.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
AK...just a thought...why replace with a CD player? Have you no ipod? IMO, CD's are going the way of the cassette tape in the not too distant future. Particularly in the car where vibration and bumps cause problems.

How the heck would I hook an IPOD up to my factory Tape deck WITHOUT running one of those goofy cassette tapes with a wire hanging out and plugged into the IPOD? Secondly, I have like 1000 CD's of all my favorite music.

Quick Reply: New CD player Help