Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New to the Disco 1, Idle/starting problem, also brake issue.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:39 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New to the Disco 1, Idle/starting problem, also brake issue.

Ok, 1997 Disco 1 4.0L automatic , engine wont start at all, ten min later starts with no problem,(sometimes) other times it will turn over and it doesnt sound like its firing that well. Once started it idles at either high idle(2500-3000rpm) or low idle (500rpm or less) runs really rough or quits.

-next problem is brakes, sometimes it will brake fine then next time i have my foot to the floor and it wont stop. I have had to use the e-brake with a trailer behind me going downhill. towards a red light. (not a fun way to find out you have no brakes)

I have lots of fluid in the res, Lots of pad left on all. I have bled the lines already, I think its the master cyl but i dont want to replace if its not the issue. not a leaking line either have looked at the lines carefully.

** My engine and ABS lights have been on since i got it in october and it ran perfect and stopped on a dime.**

****Any help is appreciated****

Last edited by 97_Disco1; 01-17-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

An ABS problem can cause you to have no braking just crazy activation of the ABS Modulator. Try taking out the ABS fuse until you can or do get it properly analyzed. It may save your life to go ahead and disable the ABS rather drive with a malfunctioning one.

Also check the frame ground connection at both your starter and battery cables.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Open hood
Open fuse box on passenger fender
Remove the ABS pump fuse
Braking problem solved

If you are interested in fixing the problem there is a "how to" in the tech section on the top of the DI page.

As for the starting issue, sounds like several things one of which could be a vacuum leak.
Does the cruise control work?

Old 03-01-2011, 03:48 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Brake problem fixed but rough idle went to no start im worried!!

I fixed my brake issue, I put a master cylinder in it and the brakes are tip top shape now, as for the rough idle that haunted me before it turned into a no start, I had to get a flatbed to pick it up and take it to a local mechanic, I usually do the work myself but im new to the rovers so i am flustered with all the extra components. The Evap system alone is just something else to mess up,

LONG STORY SHORT IM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!!!

Old 03-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97_Disco1
I fixed my brake issue, I put a master cylinder in it and the brakes are tip top shape now, as for the rough idle that haunted me before it turned into a no start, I had to get a flatbed to pick it up and take it to a local mechanic, I usually do the work myself but im new to the rovers so i am flustered with all the extra components. The Evap system alone is just something else to mess up,

LONG STORY SHORT IM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!!!
I would suggest downloading the RAVE and getting familiar with it ASAP. (in my sig <-- 500+ MB file though!)

If you can read, and are comfortable turning a wrench, I have found everything, with the exception of some electronic stuff, to be pretty straight forward.

Is it too much for a 19 Year old? well, there is 16 year old on this site, and I think he is doing a really good job fixing issues that arise with his, but it really depends on the actual issues and your comfort level - and $$$.

This forum has been a savior for me on multiple occasions that I thought was going to cost me major $$ and was able to correct relatively painlessly. If you get overwhelmed and frustrated easily, then, IN MY OPINION ONLY, this is NOT the right vehicle for you.

Good luck!

Old 03-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are truly not happy, the quicker you bail, the cheaper it will be. Otherwise be prepared to invest time and possibly dollars until you at least get it caught up on what has most likely been overlooked.