Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 Disco. No horn. SRS light on. Also, no Bentley manual?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 05:20 PM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default '03 Disco. No horn. SRS light on. Also, no Bentley manual?!

OK I did a search and although I did figure out a lot about what the problem may be, I was looking for a little more insight than I could find. I was a member on bimmerforums when I had my BMW for years, so I know how the whole "search first" thing works.... I searched.

Anyway, I recently bought an '03 Disco SE. The battery was dead, and I had it replaced. I thought that may be the reason for the SRS light, but the horn also doesn't work. Now, I wouldn't think that it would just need a clearing of the SRS/ECUat a dealer if the horn's not working.... That points me to the horn coil, coupler, or some sort of electrical open in that circuit. The fuse is fine.

Now, I can't find for the life of me a Bentley, Chilton's, or Haynes manual for this thing. And I'm not exactly sure I want to just go tearing things apart without knowing what I'm looking for and exactly what I'm doing. I've rewired and rebuilt my '68 GTO myself, and I did everything myself on my '98 328i, so I'd say I'm a pretty capable DIY guy.

Does anyone know where to get a service manual? Or do I just look for one for the '02 (which I can find)? And I'm sure someone has gone through this before, seeing as how it's an extremely common problem, so I was wondering if there was any insight out there that could be pointed in my direction....

Also, is there a better place to go in the future for DIY advice? I really hate going to the dealer, especially in San Diego, if I don't absolutely have to.

Thanks for any and all support.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: '03 Disco. No horn. SRS light on. Also, no Bentley manual?!

First of all, the SRS light will need to be cleared by a lap top type scanner that can access and clear that code that was most likely set due to the battery voltage.
The horn is a completely different issue, I would suggest checking your fuse for that issue.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:01 PM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Will the airbag still deploy with the SRS warning light on? I've found conflicting opinions on here...

Old 02-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Normally no. The one positive thing is that it will not deploy when not needed, take that from nearly 30 years as a service manager.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My horn wasn't working and I found it was the fuse. The rest I can't help with......