Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New Disco, Coolant Reservoir Tank and Transmission Hose Clamps

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Disco, Coolant Reservoir Tank and Transmission Hose Clamps

Will post up pics later of the new disco as well as the story behind in the hownmuchbdid you pay thread, but right now I'm at work and want to order this part but can't find it.

Basically the only issues I'm noticing right now on the new disco are a cracked coolant reservoir tank in the bottom slowly leaking coolant,a light ps leak which has stopped since I basted and white shepherded (flushing the system today ) and I can see is related to the sender hoses clamp near the engine, and possibly the need for a new PS pump or box (went in knowing one of these would likely go bad and figured it would be my only major expense, but now that I see this leak It may just be the clamp) if this isnt solved by a full flush and a bit more white shepherd (put about 1/6 of the bottle yesterday). Oh, and of course, despite the transfer case and everything being serviced LR techs, I'm still gonna have to try tour seize the CDL lol, butn la vie.

I'm wondering:

1. If anyone knows where I can get a white coolant reservoir tank since I was just going to get another back one locally, but apparently that's what we need. I can only find disco II threads with them, and I'd like to have it by Wednesday if possible (would like to take a brief trip not too far where a breakdown would be catastrophic. But far enough to test everything fully after then maintenance is done, and I'd be going with friends in another vehicle)

2. What clamps do we get for coolant hoses and transmission? Want to head to my local hardware store but again, most threads are for DII, don't know if we use the same.

3. White shepherds been effective at stopping leaks from me and fingers crossed, it looks like the only leak remaining after a long drive last night is a slight drip near that clamp by the hose end for the sending hose from the ps pump. There's a lot less noise and sticking coming from the car after I just suctioned everything out, but still a bit more. I'm wondering if the Lucas PS additive might help as its intended to work on internal pieces? The only thing is I only find the stop leak in local stores, or is that the same? If so I'd prefer not to mix them, even in smallness quantities So I'm trying to confirm before I do.

Thanks again all, gotta run and be responsible at work.

I'm also down to buy a white reservoir tank if anyone has an extra and pay extra for fast shipping, alternatively does anyone know if the D2 tank fits our model?

Last edited by Hyakku; 04-09-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Tank - see Land Rover Expansion Tank (Same Fit As Genuine Part # ESR2935) - Land Rover Engine Parts, or a dismantler, or salvage yard.

Coolant hose clamps at auto parts store.

Transmission hose clamps not normally "replaced" by DIY, these are made onto the hoses. Can order new, from dismantler, or have local hose shop (bulldozers, etc.) make it up. Could also be an O ring where hose screws to something.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 04-09-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Mudding

The D2 one fits ours? If so I may just be able to get one locally from a ruined D2

Old 04-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Wrong link, sorry - Land Rover Expansion Tank (Same Fit As Genuine Part # PCF101590)

Just pointing out a large parts source that can overnight things.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Also keep in mind the power steering system uses transmission fluid not PS Fluid, so I would not add any power steering stop leak to that system!

Have fun with it!

Old 04-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Also keep in mind the power steering system uses transmission fluid not PS Fluid, so I would not add any power steering stop leak to that system!

Have fun with it!
well crap..........I added a bottle of penzoil p/s stop leak about a month ago.........do you think this is going to cause me problems? haven't noticed any issues.......I also dont want to encounter an issue.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Turkey baster and drain it out, go back with high miles ATF, etc. May have to put in new fluid and bleed old to get out as much as possible, messy.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Mudding

Found a local spot that specializes in tearing down LRs with both white and black ones available. A bit pricey ~50 but since I need it soon I'll swallow the cost. Also good to hear about the PS additive, I avoided it this time around, but white shepherd definitely seems to have done good in the past for me. I considered the same thing though which is why I refrained from putting too much.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Turkey baster and drain it out, go back with high miles ATF, etc. May have to put in new fluid and bleed old to get out as much as possible, messy.
you think its gonna cause issues?

Old 04-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by filbs
you think its gonna cause issues?
Dont worry to much about it.
Remove the return line and flush the system once you get a chance, but dont loose sleep over it.
The turkey baster method only removes what is in the reservoir.

Quick Reply: New Disco, Coolant Reservoir Tank and Transmission Hose Clamps