Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

new fan clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default new fan clutch

Well I installed my new fan clutch today.
It came yesterday, I let it sit vertical in the garage for 24 hours and then went to take my old one off and I could not get it loose to save my life.
So I took the truck down to a small indie shop that I know and for $10 he took it off for me.
I did not have a big enough wrench, I had a crescent wrench and the handle was to short.
I drove the truck home with no fan and then took the old clutch off the fan and installed the new clutch.
Then I put the fan back on and put the fan shroud back.
They sent me a heavy duty clutch, I wanted a regular one and thought thats what I ordered but oh well.
The fan runs more often than I like, but it was 90*F with the a/c on and in city traffic.
While idling for 20 min while my wife was in the pharmacy the engine temp stayed right at 196*F.
I am betting that on the expressway it kicks in less often.
I ordered it from www.miamirovers.com, it was $80 with free shipping.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

I guess I probably wasn't paying attention.....did the old clutch lock up or explode or just shift into permanent freewheel ?

Old 06-26-2010, 02:05 PM
Team Owner

Permanent freewheel.
I have basically not had a clutch fan for almost a year.
It was never a problem until we went off roading, I would have to turn the a/c off to keep the truck from getting to hot.
But it is fixed now so all is well.

When the original one went bad it locked up, I replaced it with a used one, that lasted all of 6 months or so.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to take my hd clutch back it woud stay engaged going 60 down the highway, keep aneye on it.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

yea I had a friend who got a sever duty clutch because he didn't know they made different ones and the guy at advance auto just simply didn't tell him or give him any other options.

Anyways, he had a 5.9 Durango, AND BOY could you feel that fan rob some power. Im not kidding, whoever says fans dont take power to turn have no idea. You could FEEL/Hear a differnce.

Do you feel any difference? His was severe duty and yours is heavy so yours might not engauge as much as his.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really didn't notice ant loss in power, but I haven't gotten as good gas milage as I did with a bad clutch since.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Team Owner

Well this one stays engaged all the time.
And you can feel the power loss when the a/c kicks in.
I sent a e-mail to Allmakes 4x4 (the ones who made it) as well as Miami Rovers to find out at what temp the clutch is supposed to kick in.
I expect to to kick in in the morning after sitting all night and while driving in city traffic, but not on the expressway at 65 mph in 80*F temps.

Like I said I did not want the HD one so I will see what they say.
My truck ran at 194*F on the expressway today and the fan was roaring the whole time.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Well this one stays engaged all the time.
And you can feel the power loss when the a/c kicks in.
I sent a e-mail to Allmakes 4x4 (the ones who made it) as well as Miami Rovers to find out at what temp the clutch is supposed to kick in.
I expect to to kick in in the morning after sitting all night and while driving in city traffic, but not on the expressway at 65 mph in 80*F temps.

Like I said I did not want the HD one so I will see what they say.
My truck ran at 194*F on the expressway today and the fan was roaring the whole time.
HAHA, man Im ready to go electric, even if it means doing it Greg style and switching the fan on and off myself.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
HAHA, man Im ready to go electric, even if it means doing it Greg style and switching the fan on and off myself.

Actually, I have twin 12".

One is manual, One is on stat (200deg. or so) and the a/c fans come on @210deg. (even with a/c off)

luv'em, so far (2yrs?)

luck,greg

Old 06-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I too have thought about an electric fan. I thought my fan clutch was bad because I could spin it freely, however yesterday my father and I were looking at the truck and talking about it and there was a decent amount of tension on it. so now I don't know again.

Quick Reply: new fan clutch