Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New Guy; Getting New Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy; Getting New Transfer Case

I'm new here, but I have lurked occasionally in the past. I bought my 98D1 about two years ago; it had about 125k miles on it. When I bought it, the truck had all land rover parts in it including filters, belts, etc.. I'm pretty sure the truck was serviced at the dealership or at least a shop that used only LR parts/products. The truck was in great shape inside and out. The only visual defects were a couple of dings on the paint/body; interior was almost perfect. There was one glaring defect; there was a slight whining/humming noise coming from somewhere. The price was awesome, so I'm pretty sure the impending break down was the reason. I decided it was worth the risk (and I loved the truck) so I bought it anyway.

2+ years and 25k miles later the transfer case (still going!) sounds much worse and I'm sure is about to give any mile now. I called a guy locally who specializes in LR and he quoted me $1400 for the new transfer case with a 1yr warranty. I also called a couple of transmission shops and they were all much higher with shorter warranties. I'm also having him install the Terra Firma medium duty Kit for $500.

I wanted to bounce this off people with more experience than me.

Is $1400, installed, with a 1yr warranty fair for this type of repair?

I've priced the Terra Firma kit and he's basically installing it for $100.

And lastly, what tires would work best with the aforementioned suspension? I'm thinking 265/75/16.

Thoughts?

Old 01-30-2012, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Have you tried 85W150 synthetic gear lube in the transfer case? May quiet it quite a bit and extend your use.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Three Wheeling

I did that about a year ago. There were a few metal shavings on the drain plug, but it was not bad at all. I think this time it has to come out. I want to take it on longer trips without having to worry about it.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

These transfer cases are quite robust. I'd buy a good used one and have it installed. I'll bet you can get it done for half that cost. If you are getting a "new" (probably rebuilt) transfer case installed for $1400, that's probably not a bad price.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:10 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate when people use the word new when they really mean different.

Is it NEW, never been used before and the correct part, is it a rebuild? if so who rebuilt it? Or is it just a used one from another donor vehicle?

Mucho difference in each and the same for price of each.

Haven't a few members reported problems with the Terra Firma Shocks or was that another brand?

Compare prices on t/c's by doing a search?

Ask him to break down the estimate to show price of T/C and labor separately.

If it does not last thru the warranty, is his labor to replace it also covered?

All important factors.

There is an inspection plate on the bottom of the T/C so you can remove it to see what internals look like prior to replacing. You may be fine having yours rebuilt unless lots of damage is there.

Do not pull the trigger to quickly.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 02-04-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:11 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not think there are many "new'" ones still available are there?

Old 01-31-2012, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

In the same warehouse with the CKD Defender you ordered, and "the Ark" that Indy found....(lol) - it is a tough call since you can buy a whole D1 for that kind of money.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:34 AM
4wd Low

I have a 2000 Range Rover Hse and the Land Rover dealer stated that my transfer case is leaking and the cost for everything including labor is $1500.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:57 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I hate when people use the word new when they really mean different.
Calm yourself. Of course it's rebuilt. Lol.

The labor is included in the warranty.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by 98D1Chap
There were a few metal shavings on the drain plug, but it was not bad at all. I think this time it has to come out. I want to take it on longer trips without having to worry about it.
Go with your initial instinct, gut reaction - the transfer case isn't bad. It's a constant mesh, gear to gear transfer case which is rare in all wheel drive modern vehicles. The whine to a lesser degree was present the day the unit was built, you will not remove the noise only lessen it to a degree. The rebuilt unit will whine too. I would suggest asking the shop what has been replaced in their offered tcase. To honestly rebuild the unit whole would cost 4 times more than what you paid for the truck. The DII's went with a chain to reduce the whine because so many D1 owners complained. The noise is inherent to the design, and gear tooth contact wear only makes the noise more apparent, it does not signify that it is about to fail. These are the most robust units bar none. As far as safely taking the truck on long trips you'll only be bothered by the noise and not by failure. I've put over 56k on my truck, long trips and off road stress and I still love that sound. It is my daily use vehicle and it gets used by myself and my sons when I'm not using it. They treat it the same as I do, with respect. It's used everyday. My tcase didn't sound less quiet at 90k as it does at 150k, it's the same. I have a high end head unit and I rarely use it because I love to hear the truck. I'll leave the decision up to you on replacing it. I would save the expense for the trips and with 265's you'll be going through fuel at a faster rate.

Quick Reply: New Guy; Getting New Transfer Case