Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New Land Rover owner diff lock help :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:46 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Land Rover owner diff lock help :(

I recently got a 95 discovery, I absolutely love it so far. Not knowing much about them I got it because it had 125000 and looks awesome and rides and does great off roads. But what I didnt know is that it had a diff lock. When I got it, it had been in diff lock has the light on the dash and the lever was jammed I couldnt get it out. Im somewhat mechanically inclined so I read up and actually dettached the lever and turned the diff lock by hand the light went off but when i go to put it back in drive reverse or any other gear it just revs. Even in park the disco will just roll without the ebrake. Im just really confused what It could be I put it back in diff lock and it drives but im afraid of daily driving it in diff lock. 4wd is good have took it on trails no problem. I have noticed bad tire wear im not sure if that has anything to do with it or not and a tough time steering I was told power steering pump was bad but I have not inspected it yet. Could I please get some info on this, has anyone else had the same problem. Also it is a automatic

Thanks guys any help is much appreciated

Old 03-21-2011, 11:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure you have both drive shafts. it is possible one was removed and they locked the diff to get it to go.
i would try working on the linkage and getting that working properly as well. so you can be sure you are in fact in 4h or 4l and not neutral.
jon

Old 03-22-2011, 12:07 AM
7th Gear

it will go in 4h and 4l but not side to side from diff lock to not in diff lock

Old 03-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a t-case lock out solenoid...it fails and its a 150+ dollar part....if your not an idiot..you know that you can not engage diff lock under 5mph...or 4hi to 4lo.....being said that...I had the same issue as you...I am not going to pay 150 bucks for a part to fail again as soon as you take a bath offroading....I deleted mine and my TC has been trouble free since...

Old 03-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Rock Crawling

Sounds like the linkage that takes it out of diff lock isn't working, and is leaving you in neutral at the transfer case - so tranny gear makes no difference. You need to look at the linkage to the transfer case. When you move the lever from diff lock side to non diff lock side, it doesn't seem to be going all the way over.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:10 PM
7th Gear

it moves side to side all the way and tell me more about this solenoid

Old 03-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The lock out solinod keeps the transfer case from being shifted between high and low unless the tranny is in neutral. this is not your problem, your problem, like the second poster suggested, is probably the fact someone removed a driveshaft and locked the t case s they could drive it. secondly the cable for your cdl is probably corroded up from it not being used, which leads me to believe its been like that a while, causing uneven wear on your tires.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Mudding

The guy said "it does great off roads". IF infact one of the drivelines is off the truck then how the heck could it be "great off-road" with a missing driveline LOL.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i suppose it may depend on one's definition of "off road".
it is easy enough to check, costs nothing to check, and wouldn't be the first time it has happened to someone on this board.
jon

Old 03-22-2011, 07:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

When the engine is just revving and the truck rolls away while in park is because the t-case is in neutral, even with both prop shafts hooked up with the t-case in neutral it will roll away unless the parking brake is set.

Quick Reply: New Land Rover owner diff lock help :(