Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New Leather Interior Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 11:44 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Leather Interior Anyone?

My husband and I own a car stereo/Leather upholstery shop. I have searched the world for new leather for my 96 Disco that's affordable to no avail.

I work with Katzkin interiors, Car Leather Upholstery | Custom Auto Leather Interiors by Katzkin, so I contacted them about making a leather replacement kit for the 96-99 Discos and was advised that they would do it if we could gather 20-30 people that were interested.

Check out Katzkin's website, you can choose a custom color or just go factory match, you can do 2 tone and/perforation. You can get Suede.

We are thinking it will be between $900-$1200 for a 2 row leather kit.

Please let me know if you are interested..Thanks

Old 05-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

For $1200 I can buy a whole new truck.
For $300 I can buy waterproof canvas seat covers.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

saying that, an inexpensive tight fit wetsuit like or nice washable vinyl might be well appreciated. i'm about to have mine reupholstered in a black material (have not chosen) for 100 each seat, maybe 200-300 for the second row. i might consider a cover for the jumpseat too although ill probably just dye them black.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the idea of using wetsuit or similar material that would hold up to the environment that most of us would plan on encountering at least occasionally.

But like Spike pointed out, the cost of a nice new leather for a mid 90's Discovery that has already depreciated to a rock bottom price is certainly of very little interest to me or very many of the others that I know. Most of us would rather either put that money toward either doing some major maint that we have not been able to afford yet or a more trail worthy improvement.

Yes custom leather is nice but not very many on here have that big a bucket of money to put out for some fancy leather interior replacement. Now if I happen to find a nice 98 Gold Anniversary version in a Disco that is being salvaged, I would jump on that pretty quickly.

You might find some heavy interest in a good quality replacement sound system at an attractive price. I would certainly be interested in something that sounds good, is durable, AFFORDABLE, and would easily fill the hole in the middle of my dash.

You could probably sell quite a few such systems to the members of this forum.
How about doing a special group deal to us on that?

Old 05-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Slang, did you get your bike sent down to PR? Is that it in your profile pic?

Old 05-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am restoring mine in the 1998 for a total cost of $170.00. I am cheating since I make the products and have for 50 years but this is all it takes plus your effort to bring back most of the interiors in these cars.
Leather in the Discovery is from Connolly who is now out of business. So all you can do with these is RESTORE or REPLACE. Take a look on Facebook and you will see what I am up to.

Leatherique | Facebook

Old 05-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Winching

I actually just took mine into a local shop and had them quote out a full leather recover of both fronts and the rear and one jump seat in my 95. 600 was the price and that was doing a custom insert in the seats... So I think the price it a little high at 900 lowball... I would be more interested in using a material like the mercedes MB Tex, that holds up much better than leather, is half the price and is easier to clean...

Old 05-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ngarover
I actually just took mine into a local shop and had them quote out a full leather recover of both fronts and the rear and one jump seat in my 95. 600 was the price and that was doing a custom insert in the seats... So I think the price it a little high at 900 lowball... I would be more interested in using a material like the mercedes MB Tex, that holds up much better than leather, is half the price and is easier to clean...
I would agree in the sense that the MB TEX is strong and would be a great alternate to leather in a driver type of car. I like to try and get the car back to the original form since that is what made the car famous and why it was purchased back in the day.
I do not think that a Disco 1 will ever be up on the range of a collector car but it would be nice to think that.
I just look at our 928s Porsche that is jumping up in value better than I had hoped.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by georgep
I am restoring mine in the 1998 for a total cost of $170.00. I am cheating since I make the products and have for 50 years but this is all it takes plus your effort to bring back most of the interiors in these cars.
Leather in the Discovery is from Connolly who is now out of business. So all you can do with these is RESTORE or REPLACE. Take a look on Facebook and you will see what I am up to.

Leatherique | Facebook
'liked'. I gotta keep an eye on you. I'm moving down to Florida soon and will need some leather work done on some car seats.
Nice to meet ya fella!

Old 05-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just reading about MB tex on some MB forums and it seems it stays cooler and needs less care. I like the sound of that.

Quick Reply: New Leather Interior Anyone?