Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New Leather Interior Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 06:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Hey Slang, did you get your bike sent down to PR? Is that it in your profile pic?
old pic. still in new york, i need to do some arm twisting to get it back. ill let you know.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:15 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
For $1200 I can buy a whole new truck.
For $300 I can buy waterproof canvas seat covers.

Good luck in your endeavor.
An old one would be the correct words to use.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:26 AM

I guess we scared her off, but a package deal on a replacement sound system would be great.

My 86420SEL had the original leather seats that were very well made. I had read they were made by a German furniture company back then and had real horsehair stuffing. Mine had faded slightly but were the most comfortable and a very nice size for me at 6ft 250.

The 86.5 porsche 928 that I had was a beautiful car and a sweet interior, but that 32valve V8 was a beast to work on. I enjoyed owning it but when it was time to deal with major maintenance and I was not here, my wife decided to trade it.

It took me a while to get over that. It was fun while I had it. I keep looking at the 944's that are available. And the MB SL's and SEL's from the 80's still catch my eye.
There is a nice 560SEL down the street from me that an elderly lady drives. I even stopped there one day and gave her an air filter I had left over from mine. I ended up changing it for her and told her if she ever wanted to sell it to let me know.

She offered me a deal on her newer 300E but I want another full size one. Hard to beat that W126.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I guess we scared her off, but a package deal on a replacement sound system would be great.

My 86420SEL had the original leather seats that were very well made. I had read they were made by a German furniture company back then and had real horsehair stuffing. Mine had faded slightly but were the most comfortable and a very nice size for me at 6ft 250.

The 86.5 porsche 928 that I had was a beautiful car and a sweet interior, but that 32valve V8 was a beast to work on. I enjoyed owning it but when it was time to deal with major maintenance and I was not here, my wife decided to trade it.

It took me a while to get over that. It was fun while I had it. I keep looking at the 944's that are available. And the MB SL's and SEL's from the 80's still catch my eye.
There is a nice 560SEL down the street from me that an elderly lady drives. I even stopped there one day and gave her an air filter I had left over from mine. I ended up changing it for her and told her if she ever wanted to sell it to let me know.

She offered me a deal on her newer 300E but I want another full size one. Hard to beat that W126.
Having a 560SL, I'm quickly learning that they are a totally different beast from the diesel w123's and even w124's There are a lot of electronics and engine management systems without the benefit of a good diagnostic. Just google 560sl high idle, and you will see what I mean. Replacement parts for these cars are true to MB Form, stupid expensive, unlike the diesels which can be maintained for next to nothing.

I've actually had my SL for sale for some time now, and can't even get lookers, so there is no market currently for them. Sad, because they really are beautiful cars.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ToddD
I was just reading about MB tex on some MB forums and it seems it stays cooler and needs less care. I like the sound of that.
I also like this! Maybe some seat covers made of this?

Old 05-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ToddD
I was just reading about MB tex on some MB forums and it seems it stays cooler and needs less care. I like the sound of that.
MB TEX is a very good product. GAHH sells it in rolls and it does hold up well. My FUN SHOP is up in S.C. where I can HIDE AND HAVE FUN

Old 05-22-2012, 10:29 AM

I saw one episode of Paul Jr vs Paul SR a while back. They had a guy come in and make a seat for one of Juniors creations. It was fascinating watching him form and pound this massive hide into a one of a kind motorcycle seat.

It is incredible what they can do when they have the acquired skills of a true leather craftsman.

Some of my older relatives down in rural Georgia were in the saddle and related leather making goods business and of course made boots and repaired all type of shoes and other leather goods.

A close friend has that building now and he enjoys having his air brushed T Shirt Shack modeled after the original Big Daddy Rat's on the BoardWalk in Daytona Beach right at the old fishing pier. Everyone that went to Daytona Beach knew that place.

He also can airbrush street rods and such. A mural on the side of the Rover picturing it climbing a trail would be cool. Like putting my profile pic on the side of mine.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ngarover
There are a lot of electronics and engine management systems without the benefit of a good diagnostic.
theyre caught in that inbetween period where computers allowed the OEMs to get some really complex functionality out of the cars, but before CAN and other networking and diagnostics really came into full use to allow easy troubleshooting of those complex systems.

i think proper replacement parts for anything other than diesel w123s is expensive when youre talking anything other than simple bushings or cast rubber/metal parts.
monovalves for the later w124s, for example!

Old 05-22-2012, 02:39 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are a bunch of blow hards. I asked if anyone was interested, I didn't ask your opinion or what you are going to do to your disco. So if you can't stay on topic and just let me know if you are interested then please don't reply, I don't have time for all of your BS posts.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:41 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys are a bunch of blow hards. I didn't ask your opinion or what you are going to do in your vehicle, I asked if anyone was interested. If not, don't post, I don't have time for all of your BS.

Quick Reply: New Leather Interior Anyone?