Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New member and some D1 background

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member and some D1 background

Hello,

I am new to the forum, but thought I would share a little info about my D1s and hopefully be able to provide (and receive) some help here and there.

I have a 1999 NAS D1 auto with a 300TDI conversion. The engine/transmission is a 1998 from the UK with 120K miles. It has been converted to a non-EDC pump, and all the unnecessary ECU bits bypassed/removed.

I recently purchased the conversion already "complete" from a questionable source. I was aware of the reputation of the seller, and went into this eyes wide open. Since I knew what I was doing, I will not out him here, but if anyone is considering the purchase of a Land Rover vehicle with a diesel conversion from a shop that "specializes" in these, let me know who it is, and i'll let you know if it is the same guy. I would have been furious, had I purchased this thinking it was as advertised. His description was blatantly inaccurate. Because I knew what I did, I was able to ask a lot of very specific questions, and negotiate what I think is a fair deal.

The bad - attention to detail was poor at best. To date, I have replaced brake master cylinder (with OEM), brake booster, a rear brake line, water temp sender, serpentine belt, four burnt out bulbs, two fuses, and various other small bits. I have replaced the leaky power steering hoses, and fixed the serpentine belt tensioner. The oil pan has a slight leak which I will fix at the next oil change. The vehicle was in good to excellent cosmetic condition in and out, but absolutely filthy when delivered to me. Several days of scrubbing and polishing, and it looks great.

There are a lot of little details that need to be sorted out, none of which affect reliability or safety. They are mostly cosmetic/convenience/niceties.

I am missing the AC idler pulley and tensioner assembly, there are issues with the door locks, it took me some hours to get the stock stereo working - I have already ordered and received everything to replace that system.

The good - the engine is strong, the transmission is tight, the basic conversion was done well. I have gone through it from bumper to bumper. The vehicle is totally rust free (YEA!). It runs and drives well. I have put about 1500 miles on it in the Colorado mountains, and I am impressed with the 2500cc TDI engine in this heavy vehicle. I am currently averaging a little better than 27mpg. I have not modded the engine at all except for the EGR delete. I have a buddy with a 1998 V8, Teraferma 2" lift, and slightly oversized tires - 245/75 16 (same as mine) that averages about 13mpg for the same driving. It handles very well, and I got to drive it in blizzard conditions for six hours in the Colorado high country yesterday. What a great vehicle!

Almost all electronics work, including heated seats. The exceptions are the rear power windows which I believe I have traced to the little ECU box behind the glovebox, and the rear defroster, which keeps blowing fuses - no idea why yet.

I also have new but not currently installed:
Full Safety Devices Roof Rack w/ Rear Ladder
Tactical Rovers Front Winch Bumper w/Hella 500's
WARN VR10,000-S Winch with Synthetic Rope
245-75-16 BFG Mud Terrain Tires including Spare on wheels
2" Terrafirma Medium Duty lift kit
Complete dual battery kit (actually not a kit for purchase, but parts assembled by me for said purpose)

And finally, I have a 1998 donor vehicle with a load of great parts, and again no rust that I have found.

If I can answer any questions about the performance or the conversion (understanding I did not do the conversion myself, but have done them before on Land Cruisers), feel free to ask. I'm sure I will have many questions for this group as I work on my Disco(s). I'm actually going to try a head gasket on my donor vehicle to see if I can get it running (it currently runs, but has coolant in the oil, and overheats).

Thanks

Last edited by clang; 01-13-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Cool, sounds like your up for it.

This forum isn't too technical so you'll have no trouble blending in if you've wrenched before.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:01 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clang,

I've been keeping an eye on your D1 progress, looks like things are moving fast. I'm also restoring a 300tdi swap (1996 5spd) that was not well maintained by the previous owner but things are moving slowly. The last major problem I need to sort out is that it is difficult to shift into first, and impossible to get into reverse, when the truck is not moving. I've replaced the clutch hydraulics which didn't fix the issue so I'm guessing the problem is clutch drag due to a worn pinion bushing. This means the transmission has to come out and I haven't had time to work on that yet. Anyway, best of luck with your rig.

- Matt