Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New owner, several questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 10:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New owner, several questions...

Just picked up a `97 with 166k miles, seems a little rough but couldn't pass it up for the price.

From what I understand the tranny has some issues (some searching here has alluded to woes with this generation, but it's not in the sticky as a "Common" issue...)

I'm looking to rebuild / replace the transmission and looking for any tips / suggestions / concerns.

The vehicle was donated to my work, and the auto shop changed out the filter / fluid (the old stuff was burnt) and it has issues over 40mph.

So Rebuild, or replace the tranny pros/con's are appreciated.

I saw the guide on anyone buying an old disco, and also saw the maintenance schedule.. If the tranny fluid was that bad i imagine a good portion of the maintenance has been neglected, so I should do everything? I have a feeling this will be an expensive project.

Would it be better to part this this guy out, and look for a newer machine, or since I have less than a grand invested, it'd be worth it to get this truck running right again

Thanks for any info / suggestions!

Also, has anyone done an auto->manual conversion on one of these? Curious if that may be the better route to go

-Erik

Last edited by nuclearw; 04-20-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Rebuild or replace depends on your budget.
Replace all fluids and filters, plugs and wires, repack the wheel bearings and then drive the damn thing and enjoy it.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

What kind of issues over 40 mph?

Most Disco of this type are in boneyard due to overheating engine. Tranny swap?

Old 04-21-2013, 06:16 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Least expensive and time consuming, find a used lower mileage auto-box and swap it. $350 is ballpark. I have a 97 with 164k, ZF is original. No problems and that is usual.

Keep it and learn from it, where to find reasonably priced parts new and used. Best advice. Once you get the hang of it then shop around for another and you'll have an excellent idea of what to look for the second time around and have a runner you can off for covering your next prize.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I think the best prices on used D1 transmissions come from drillbit if he still has them. I think he was selling them for like $2something shipped because he had too many. Not sure what current prices are.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If there's a Pull-A-Part near you, they're not only a great source for cheap parts, but also great practice for $2. You can check their inventory online. Seems like they get D1s and RRCs somewhat regularly.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will look for a used tranny, if it is as cheap as you are saying then it could be a good deal. How would I find drillbit, is that their username here?

Just got the thing home from work today, first time really driving it (in the mud behind the office doesn't really count lol).

So here's the things I'm seeing:

1. Engine tick (mechanic said its a lifter tap, as it has been sitting a while any tips on this, I can identify which/where, just pull the valve cover and see for sure?)

2. Transmission was "funny" the whole way driving, had issues shifting did mostly ok at lower speeds but between 35-40 it would keep shifting up/down (rpm from 1700 to 2200 roughly) this actually seemed to smooth out a bit by the time I got home . Maybe the new fluid/filter actually cleaned up some

3. While driving the speedo stopped registering, a few times it fluctuated up towards my actual speed but settled on 0 the rest of the way.

Engine temp seemed fine, no other major issues in this trip (about 15mi) .

Gotta clear out space in the garage, and I will do the basic must's that were listed here and in a few other threads I found.

Originally Posted by Spike555
Rebuild or replace depends on your budget.
Replace all fluids and filters, plugs and wires, repack the wheel bearings and then drive the damn thing and enjoy it.

Good source for rebuild kits? Just looking for options, seems like the used is probably the better place to start price wise .. but i'd love to be able to compare

This seems like a pretty complete kit: http://www.rockauto.com/info/PartsAu...l/DK8200C.html

Thanks guys, I greatly appreciate the welcome and the advice!

Last edited by nuclearw; 04-21-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts
Old 04-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your VSS is going south, thats why your speedo was acting funny, easy DIY but expensive part new.
Before you drop the coin for a tranny adjust your kickdown cable, that might take care of the weird shifting, no guarantees but worth a shot and its free.
The lifter noise on these is common, live with it.
Switching oil brands and weights usually takes care of it, sometimes not.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Not sure how far back this goes but pulled these codes from the ECU:
P1179 (Maximum Negative AMFR??? Correction Fault)
P1177 (Maximum Negative FMFR??? Correction Fault)
P1317 (ABS Rough Road Line Low Fault) -- For a later date...
P0300 (worrying "Random / Multiple Cylinder misfire detected")
P0308 (cyl 8 missfire)
P0307 (cyl 7 missfire)
P0305 (cyl 5 missfire)
P1316 (Misfire Excessive Emissions Fault)

I suppose several of these could be connected... obviously the o2 could be related to the missfires...

Missfires could be related to bad plugs/cables? I can test it out, but now im wondering if this is gonna be a bigger project than I had anticipated. No Check Engine light on the dash so was NOT expecting these heh...

I'll search the forum to see if the odb codes are somewhere, would they be in the RAVE manuals as well?

And, another thing I noticed .. Above the water pump was wet w/ coolant (driver side) so I did some looking and saw a clean path up to the intake, then i saw a small puddle of coolant on the intake near the coolant line that runs up to by the throttle, perhaps that hose is just leaking but seemed odd.

I would love to get this thing going but another engine overhaul I'm not sure if I have the patience for...

I'll open the rave manual and do some prep reading. we will see how this goes, so far I paid 700 for the thing it has new tires and a brand new battery i'm sure I could make back most of what I spent up to this point. I need to make a decision before I buy more parts and title it though

Last edited by nuclearw; 04-21-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: New owner, several questions...