Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New Transmission Needed - Or Just a Filter/Fluid Change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 12:36 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
My two cents worth, STAY AWAY FROM AAMCO. What they quoted is redickyoulous.

That means they are dicking you twice. 2500 to 4500 what an estimate.

If it is the original fluid, and no filter change, it probably is clogged and nasty inside.

Warm it up and drain it, drop the pan and replace the filter. That certainly cannot be a mistake. If that does not at least make a big difference, then go with the 500 dollar warrantied tranny from Paul Grant.

I do not think miles alone is a major issue when you are dealing with a vehicle that old if the tranny has never been drained and the filter serviced. The age issue also comes into play with all the minute particles that will accumulate over that time span. Just the rubber particles decaying from age can clog it up.

If it does eventually pull at higher rpm's I do not think it is an electrical issue.
while you are removing the pan and checking filter see if there are lumpy bits sitting in the bottom of the pan, this could indicate the clutch packs have had thier day, very fine sludge, not to deep is usual, thick lumpy sludge is not,

Pedroz

Old 08-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No electronics? Wow; I count Five solenoids mounted to the valve body on the ZF.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:47 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Spike is right and you are incorrect, that ZF is non-electric.
Spike, thanks for bring that up, I was wondering when it would be cleared up.

Do not open up the tranny and plan removing and testing, unless at some point you want to then have it towed to a tranny shop.
Check the fluid, today and get back to us before I delete the whole thread cause you are not listening and just wasting our time. Test it when cold with the engine running, what is the level, what is the condition of the oil is it red, brown and or smell burned?
If the fluid needs to be changed just do as I mentioned at the start of this, if it doesn't help with an hours worth of running then send it to a tranny shop where they can do a pressure test on the different sections of the tranny to see what is failing and let us know.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Winching

Wow; so your saying this transmission is majic and can change gears without an electronic solenoid? You can look at the valve bodies in this link. They all have solenoids that control pressure for shifting.Land Rover Automatic transmission valves body Also see: http://www.familycar.com/Transmission.htm you can learn how transmissions work.

Last edited by LRD2&ME; 08-20-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LRD2&ME
Wow; so your saying this transmission is majic and can change gears without an electronic solenoid? You can look at the valve bodies in this link. They all have solenoids that control pressure for shifting.Land Rover Automatic transmission valves body Also see: Automatic Transmissions A Short Course on How They Work you can learn how transmissions work.
Wow, really? They used electronics on a automatic transmission back in the '50's? Really? When computers were the size of a basketball stadium and could only do simple equations? The transmissions back then were still electronic?
Really?
Automatic transmissions of old work on hydraulic pressure, the shift points are sent manually at the factory by the valve body.
It is simple and reliable, theres no school like old school.
The DII and P-38 have a electronic transmission, NOT the DI or the RRC.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Winching

1994-2006 ZF 4HP24 EH Discovery transmission have one solenoid for each gear and one for the torque converter. A solenoid is electronic. It is controlled by external sensors and ECU to provide shift pressure to the bands inside the transmission for each gear. Are we talking about the same Discovery here? I thought this guy had a 1994 D1 and not a 1950's. Maybe he should clarify this for us. My 99D1 and my old 97D1 both had 5 pressure control solenoids. I know because I removed the 97 transmission and put it on my 99. Oh well I'm sure he has gotten the point by now. I wonder where you thought I said a 1950's transmission worked on solenoids? I think you read something wrong. I said this transmission. Meaning the 1994 D1.

Last edited by LRD2&ME; 08-20-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Team Owner

No, you said that automatic transmissions used solenoids to shift the gears.
That would mean, by your statement, that all automatic transmissions used solenoids to change gears, that would include the '50's.

Show me that there are electronics on the DI trans, give me a valid link, not Wikipedia, not "Joe's Crab Shack and Auto Reapir" .com, but a valid Land Rover web site.
You say I am wrong, so prove it.
And if I am wrong I will admit it, because I am a man who can admit when he is wrong, so make me admit it.
And just so we are clear, we are talking about the DI transmission NOT the DII or the P-38 transmission, which are both electronic.

And just so you know, the P38, which was introduced in 1995, has a electronic transmission, made by ZF, but we are talking about the DI transmission.
And if you do alittle more research, you will know that the DI and DII use a different trans, if they were both electronic you could use a DI trans in a DII, but you cant, because the DI trans is mechanical.
So, either prove me wrong or admit that you are wrong.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Disco Mike,

I am not sure I understand your frustration - It is definitely not my intention to frustrate you, nor seemingly waste your time. As I stated before, I am looking for all input - To help me make my decision as to whether I needed to plan on saving/spending 4500.00 to get my transmission serviced. Everyone here, including you has provided some GREAT information and input - Even the "solenoid" discussion has been quite enlightnenting.

Please accept my appologies for not "immediately" going out to the driveway and doing your bidding. I didn't understand that I was to "immediately" obey the "Senior Members" suggestions and report back the results - As soon as my Angels are done beating the Baltimore O's I will do as you say.

Please don't delete this thread - there really has been a lot of good information shared!! It would be ashame to loose it.

Please accept my sincerest apologies Disco Mike - I truly did not know my responsibilities here. . I will make sure I pay more attention to your posts and do my best to immediately carry them out.

In Peace and Agape,
Trav...

Last edited by Travelor; 08-21-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:25 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Disco Mike, et al,

As requested/demanded - I had to move my rig into the "work spot" yesterday - So she's been sitting since 3pm Pacific Time - Yesterday - and I check the transmission fluid right now - 3:15pm - 24 hours of sitting.

Procedure for checking the fluid -
1. Let the Rig sit for at least 12 Hours - I gave her 24hours
2. Start Rig and put her into Neutral
3. Check Fluid Level.

My levels -
1. about 1/8 inch above the second (high) dot (whole in dipstick)
2. Still has a red color
3. Does not smell burnt

I am still leaning towards doing the fluid/filter change - a job I can easily do myself, for much less then the 250.00 AAMCO wants to do the job. As Spike states - It's short money lost, if that doesn't do the trick -

I am still not sure about this solenoid discussion - Though it is helping me understand the way our Transmission works. I am interested to see what the tranmission looks like when I get the pan off - I am guessing this will give me a better idea of what's going on.

Also I would bet easy money, that the PO never did a tranmission service, and it is more likely the OO never did a transmission service (I am the 3rd owner). For some reason people just don't think the transmission is a necessary component to their vehicles and ignore them. Laugh -

In any case, I am still open to insights and suggestions!!!

In Peace and Agape,
Trav...

Old 08-21-2011, 08:24 PM
Team Owner

This will help answer your question about the solenoids in a DI tranny.

Discovery Transmission ECU

If it is electronic it needs its own computer.

Discovery Transmissions - Complete

No computer listed.

Land Rover Discovery I Transmission Parts Available from RoversNorth.com

No trans computer.

Land Rover Discovery I Electrical Parts Available from RoversNorth.com

The only solenoid on the DI trans is actually for the transfer case, it is to keep you from shifting into lo range while driving.
Solenoid - Transmission/ Transfer Box Interlock | Land Rover Electrical Parts, Batteries, Relays, Lamps & More

Quick Reply: New Transmission Needed - Or Just a Filter/Fluid Change?