Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Newb here, couple Q's please

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb here, couple Q's please

Hey fellas, BRAND new guy to Land Rovers here. I've always wanted one and finally pulled the trigger. I read and read on here all I could and was almost talked out of buying one.....you guys make it sound like these things need duct tape and magic juice to keep them running everyday!!. I know they require routine and preventative maintenance but so do all vehicles in my opinion. I've built and wheeled just about every rig out there, FZullsize blazers, Burbans, Samurai's, CJ's, Zj's, Fords, Scouts, land cruiser FJ40, mini toyota etc etc etc but NEVER had a rover. I had 2 choices up here in Alaska for my price range......I had to choose between a 2000 D2 with 150K on the clock and no record of maintenace or a 98 D1 with just 65K on the clock. I chose the D1 because of miles and the CDL option. Anyway I have other "hardcore" wheeling rigs so I want to DD my D1 and light wheel it. I want a 3" lift but I keep hearing that a 3" will require "lots" of mods to drivetrain as opposed to a 2". Really 1" will make it all that different????. I was then thinking 2" suspension lift and 1" body lift but generally I hate Body lifts. Well hello fellas, will be on here often lurking around and asking annoying questions that I cant find in the "search" box.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

welcoem to the forum! before you do anything i would do the full 60k maitenance to get that puppy fresh. As for the lift. you can go with 1" or 10" the only thing that will be effected is the brake lines, abs lines, radius arms and steering components. its the tires that you add with all that lift that screw it all up. a 3" lift will let you put some 33"+ tires on there and most will say anything above that and you will want HD shafts, axles etc...

Old 02-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can go 3" on these trucks without much of a problem. If you do go with a 3" spring I would recomend getting cranked radius arms if its going to be your DD, it just straightens out a lot of the steering issues. You mite also have to check into a double cardan or cv joint front driveshaft with a 3" the angle starts to get pretty steep at that point for a single joint.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:24 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by AKdisco
Hey fellas, BRAND new guy to Land Rovers here. I've always wanted one and finally pulled the trigger. I read and read on here all I could and was almost talked out of buying one.....you guys make it sound like these things need duct tape and magic juice to keep them running everyday!!. I know they require routine and preventative maintenance but so do all vehicles in my opinion.
Replying to your quote on "needing duct tape and magic juice", you are absolutely right. We make these trucks sound like they are built by a Formula 1 racing shop, needing premium fuel, synthetic fluids, constant service and tire warmers, etc...

I have owned at least 6 or 7 D1s and D2s and guess what; I have used regular gas and minimal amount of maintenance, an oil change when required and a transmission fluid change every 30 K Miles and that is it. No special spark plug wires or spark plugs or anything. Just the basic maintenance only when needed and only if the "Check Engine Light" comes on.

With that said, my gas mileage in town with the AC on has been around 14 to 16 MPG, slightly more on the interstate at 75 MPH. Never had a breakdown.

Net: Just drive the heck out of it and when it breaks fix it using the most economical way possible.

Good luck with your D1.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:33 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Duct tape makes everything run better. That being said, where are you? I'm assuming up North, but you never know in AK.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Regular Duct Tape may not stick that well in those extrtemely cold temps. Get some Gorilla Brand Super Duct Tape. And don't forget about making regular sacrifices to the Rover Gods.

I find ceremonies involving fire, meat, good drinks and scantily clad women dancing around the fire help out tremendously when doing any repairs to my Rover. Maybe that is why i really love working on it so much...........

Old 02-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by unimoged

I have owned at least 6 or 7 D1s and D2s and guess what; I have used regular gas and minimal amount of maintenance, an oil change when required and a transmission fluid change every 30 K Miles and that is it. No special spark plug wires or spark plugs or anything. Just the basic maintenance only when needed and only if the "Check Engine Light" comes on.
Is it really okay to run these trucks with regular gas? I was always under the impression that they run like crap with regular...

Old 02-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by losinov
Is it really okay to run these trucks with regular gas? I was always under the impression that they run like crap with regular...
maybe that explains why he gone thru 6 or 7 of these trucks..... i have and will continue to use minimum 91 octane.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:20 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by unimoged
I find it is worth the extra few dollars to use premium just to keep the Rover Gods happy. It is up to you what octane to get and what plugs and wires and oil and so on and so forth to use in your LR. I figure, why not spend a little extra for a premium product that may or may not help the vehicle. I would rather not have any problems, then be on the side of the road wondering if my cheap plugs, wires, belt, oil, fuel was the cause of my strandedness. But some people like living on the edge. Lord knows I do. Why else would I have gotten married and had three kids?!

Old 02-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I used regular gas for awhile, but I switched to plus instead of premium. From what I understand regular causes carbon build up but who knows? Another statement that defends using premium gas is because the manufactures say so. So what I think is try all 3 and see what works best for you. Some of these guys get better MPG by using prem but personally I always fill up at 200miles anyways.

Quick Reply: Newb here, couple Q's please