Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

NGK Spark Plug Wires from AMAZON.COM

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default NGK Spark Plug Wires from AMAZON.COM

Gentlemen,

My first Amazon.com order arrived yesterday. It consisted of a set of NGK Wires, a Wix Air Filter and a K&N Gold oil filter. I went with these due to the combination of price, combined with free shipping and name brands.
The total order was less than just a set of Kingsbourne Wires with new wire holders and cost of shipping. Fifty six bucks compared to almost seventy,and I needed the air filter and oil filter as well.

The only negative with the wires were that they did not have the little numbered bands on them as the box claimed. Not a a major problem, just a minor irratation factor. But I figured maybe that was why they were discounted so much. Who knows?

They appear well made, silicone sealant where the caps attach to the insulation. I had two of eight of the Heavy Duty Wires I purchased from Rovers North about three years ago fail by separating where the boot attaches to the plug. Excellent fit at each end (plug and coil pack leads). They also have a Lifetime Warranty, it says to return to retailer. I do not know how cool Amazon.com is as far as honoring warranties like that.

Since they were missing the numbers, I laid them out side by side on the table top and matched up each old wire to the closest length one at a time. It all worked out fine.

As I went, I removed each plug, cleaned them with a shot of MAF cleaner to the electrodes,wiped them clean and reset the gaps. They had been in just two weeks and I was surprised how black they already were. I had also gapped them at 38 originally and they were reading 45 already. I tightened them to 34ish,reinstalled with just a light coating of never seize on the threads.

Put in the new airfilter. The WIX is a perfect fit. Also appears well made.

Today I drained the oil. Black as could be. Beautiful deep black, no sign of coolant at all. Even kept a small jar of it. The K&N Gold Oil Filter is a gem of an oil filter. It has a one inch nut formed into the bottom of the filter for easier removal. Even had a new copper crush washer on hand for the drain plug. Do you guys replace those on a regular basis?

Went with the MaxLife 10W40 again. Advance Auto has the 5.1 gallon jug on sale for 20 bucks with a 7 dollar mail-in rebate.

I just wanted to post my experience with the NGK wires that were recommended recently. If money is a concern with you, I would say that these would be fine. I have never bought then Magnecors primarily due to the price factor, even though they maybe fine.

I was on the verge of ordering the Kingsbourne,which I am sure is also a fine product,but after hearing about the NGK's on here,I decided to go ahead and try them. Money is really tight here currently and the forecast for the comming months is BLEAK.

The Discovery is running better now than it has the entire time I have owned it. Cleaning the MAF was MAJOR, but with the new Champion Spark Plugs, NGK Wires and the oil change, it idles quietly, accelerates strongly, and is downright amazing for a 15 year old Discovery. And NO Check Engine Light.

It is like a totally different truck.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 11-05-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great write up and info. thanks for sharing. i need to do plugs and wires, i'll give them a try.
jon

Old 11-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Danny, my kingsbornes were 35.00 and change if I remember correctly but who cares as long as it's running great.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am extremely happy with all of it right now. It is even fun working on it. I really have to be careful of things like speed limits now.

The main difference in price was the shipping and the extra money for the larger guides so as not to pinch the insulation.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

when do you recommend changing spark plugs and wires?

Old 11-06-2011, 06:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's great danny...i'll probably go step by step on your experience in a few weeks. what was it again...maf clean, wires, plugs....? i'm feeling like im guzzling gas like never before. i gotto say performance feels good but it's exciting to know that it could get better.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and Danny knows I was going to do the Kingsborne too but they wanted $22 bucks to ship so I held off. I can do the same Amazon deals as you guys unless they consider it parts of an explosive or some electronic I can hack the government with from PR. Which is really all electronics. I wonder why I can't get that little angle indicator for my cab.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Put in the new airfilter. The WIX is a perfect fit. Also appears well made.
Yup, been using Wix air filters as long as I've had a car that took paper filters (about 2000) and Wix oil filters for over 35 years.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
Yup, been using Wix air filters as long as I've had a car that took paper filters (about 2000) and Wix oil filters for over 35 years.
X100!!!
Why over pay for a filter when you dont have to?

Old 11-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Danny, do you have a O'Riley's there? Did you get the coupon for $10 off a 5.1qt jug of Maxlife motor oil?

Quick Reply: NGK Spark Plug Wires from AMAZON.COM