Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

No Fuel Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Fuel Pressure

Replaced the fuel pump (not the entire assembly) this weekend. The vehicle is hard to start, sometimes having to turn the key on to position 2 a couple times to ensure fuel is primed for ignition. Tested the pressure in the fuel lines after a 15 minute drive, nothing....not even a light hiss. Could my fuel pressure regulator be crap? What else should I check. I've got my voltmeter at the ready!

Old 07-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

How's your fuel filter? Your injectors could be leaking down, too.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Overlanding

Fuel filter was replaced not even 3,000 miles ago. I don't think my injectors are leaking, I can check. There is not a strong fuel smell coming from the engine bay.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Fuel pressure test gauge attached to fuel rail test port (passenger side) would be a way to see what is happening. Also be sure that "giant" six inch rubber vac hose is in good shape on the fuel pressure regulator (driver side rear of fuel rails).

Old 07-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Cool Fuel Pressure

When I replaced my fuel pump the little hose that is inside the tank that goes from the pump to the outlet blew off and was just spewing fule back into the tank. Needless to say I had no fuel pressure. Yanked it out and replaced with high pressure hose and fuel injection clamps. No problem since. Just a thought, as I did the same thing and just replaced the pump itself. Pretty cheap fix really.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoJag
When I replaced my fuel pump the little hose that is inside the tank that goes from the pump to the outlet blew off and was just spewing fule back into the tank. Needless to say I had no fuel pressure. Yanked it out and replaced with high pressure hose and fuel injection clamps. No problem since. Just a thought, as I did the same thing and just replaced the pump itself. Pretty cheap fix really.
Great point!
Toyfare, can you explain what you did with/to the two flexible straw tubes when you replaced the pump? Did you replace them with fuel injection line? And if so did you run the line straight or did you put a loop in it?

Old 07-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Overlanding

I just used the original straw tube and use the radiator type clamps to fasten it to the pump. I did test it again after I drove home with the engine running and it shot fuel all over the place. Should the rails still be under pressure after the car has sat over night?

Old 07-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Do a leak down test. Buy a gauge to screw onto the Schrader.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Overlanding

Ordered a new fuel pressure regulator (on sale $40 from Atlantic British). Thought this would be cheaper than buying a regulator AND a pressure test kit. Will post to see if this fixes my issue.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Does the disco have advanced evap?

Quick Reply: No Fuel Pressure