Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

No muffler, how loud?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 03:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts
Default No muffler, how loud?

So if I replace my muffler with a straight pipe but retain the pipe all the way to the back including the resonator, how loud will it be?

Old 04-06-2015, 03:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Funny you ask... My driver side cat took a **** this Friday! I heard a weird rattling, started running funny, huge backfire and truck wanted to overheat.. Luckily I was close to home. I cut both of them out, welded in pipe, spaced the two rear O2 sensors with a nut (welded it in) and now have a loud muscle car exhaust tone. Granted I'm running a Flowmaster Super 10 muffler and no resonator. I'll post a vid clip later if I get to it. She threw the misfire code on cylinder 8 and the P1316. was a bit smoky (I'm guessing rich) on start up but she cleared up after a few minutes. I cleared both codes and haven't came back. I'm gonna change the spark plugs/wires anyways if it does come back. She definitely sounds like a V8 now and the throttle feels more responsive.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Bought mine with nothing after the flange where the two pipes meet. Sounded kinda good actually but loud at idle. Quiets down while driving. Put a flowmaster muffler (40 series) on after the flange with a turndown before the axle. Quiet with a good amount of grunt

Old 04-06-2015, 07:42 PM
Camel Trophy

So yeah, its actually not too bad. My wife came home from her run when I had nothing after the Y pipe. She asked me how it was going so I started it for her. She just gave me that "I know you're joking because otherwise I'd have to kill you" look.

So I welded in a straight pipe.
Definitely more throaty. I didn't have a chance to open it up for a good test though. Going to have to do that tomorrow on my way to work.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

I am very familiar with that look. I usually see it right after I do something dumb

Old 04-06-2015, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I see it whenever I bring home another car....

Old 04-07-2015, 10:25 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Do it! It seriously sounds awesome. It isn't loud at all. My buddy's 5 speed Disco is straight piped, no resonator and dumps out same place as stock. It sounds badass when he shifts.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:59 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by MM3846
Do it! It seriously sounds awesome. It isn't loud at all. My buddy's 5 speed Disco is straight piped, no resonator and dumps out same place as stock. It sounds badass when he shifts.
I did do it, last night!
Pretty much leak free from what I can tell. It does sound very good.
There is a bit of a drone at about 50mph/1750rpm. Not too bad, though.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Mine is no cats no Res and a welded muffler it drones and does annoy me sometimes, loud on my did is just annoying , guess I am getting old lol

Old 04-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you leave the tail resonator? I hit a rut wayy too fast, truck went up, truck came down, center muffler snapped at the rear weld. After looking at the options ($$) and needing to get back on the road pronto, I just threw in a "temporary" fix of an appropriate length of 2.5" straight pipe I had laying around from some other hack job years ago (free)... sounds pissa IMHO, especially for the investment (0). It's been at least a year, well past the time where temporary fixes become permanent. Noticeable consistent improvement in mileage as well, every couple mpg helps. When the little resonator goes, I have a piece of scrap pipe set aside for that too...

Quick Reply: No muffler, how loud?