Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

No start help

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 05:06 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start help

Hey all - my 97 disco 1 will not start and I cannot figure out why.

Here's some background:

Was running but had a misfire on cylinder 7. Replaced the engine gasket and fixed the misfire. When putting the engine back together I accidentally left the crankshaft position sensor line on the exhaust manifold.

Drove for a while without realizing then it died. Saw that the wire had been burned against the manifold and was exposed.

Replaced the wire
checked fuses, grounds, relays
Replaced the CkPS... no go
Replaced the camshaft sensor... no go
Replaced the ECU and alarm ECU from a 97... still no go

I'm at a loss here and cannot figure out what has happened! It's killing me.

Gonna reset the inertia switch tonight.

Any other ideas on what could be the issue?

Old 11-24-2017, 02:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you check the big fuses under the hood behind the battery? Also I saw you checked the grounds, does that include the ones from the battery AND the starter? My grounds could cause a no start by blowing on them the corrosion was so bad. Once cleaned never an issue again.

The following users liked this post:
dhjones41 (11-27-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 02:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Dang I shoulda asked by no start do you mean no crank, or nothing at all - the blackness...?

The following users liked this post:
dhjones41 (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 07:40 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by ROB99DISCOSD
Did you check the big fuses under the hood behind the battery? Also I saw you checked the grounds, does that include the ones from the battery AND the starter? My grounds could cause a no start by blowing on them the corrosion was so bad. Once cleaned never an issue again.
yep- checked fuses under hood and under steering wheel. Cleaned grounds from starter and battery...

the engine turns over but won’t start. Not getting fire. Fuel pump engaging, pressure is good...

think that the ckps wasn’t installed with the spacers... making it not sit flush in the flywheel. I know they can be sensitive. Gonna check that within the next few days.

if that’s not it then I’m really leaning towards the ecm...
but I’ve heard they plug and play with the ecm and alarm unit (matching part number of course)

yet its not starting... is there a chance that it needs to be programmed? Anyone know?

Old 11-30-2017, 07:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

They don't need to be "programed" if already paired. How did you repair the wire to the CkPS?

Old 11-30-2017, 08:40 PM
Winching
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

If it is an automatic you need the thicker spacer. The thin one is for a manual trans. You will know if it's bad.
This is a picture of a ckps if you have a manual spacer in a auto:

Old 12-03-2017, 05:43 PM
4wd Low

Update- don’t think it’s the ckps. Not sure it if was ever the issue. Upon inspection of the wire it had just slightly melted the copper insulation but not touched the green and red wires going to the sensor. I’m at a loss. Replaced the ckps regardless.

When it died it was driving fine and out of no where lost fuel pressure. It began idling high (3-4k) and wouldn’t accelerate.

Now it won’t crank. It turns over but isn’t getting fire to the plugs.

Fuel pressure is good. Fuel pump engages when the key is put in start. Fuel line is pumping gas at fuel rail. Yet the plugs are dry...

No blown fuses.

Multiunit relay possibly?
ecu issue?

It’s not getting fire and something is restricting the fuel to the plugs...

This one is kicking my rear end.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:58 PM
Rock Crawling

Sounds electronic. If you have no fuel from injectors but fuel pressure somethings not telling the injectors to fire. Also no spark at same time like somethings not telling plugs to fire. That’s two major systems not working at the same time I would find it hard to believe both systems had a failure together. I guess what I’m saying is what could cause them BOTH to not work at the same time?

Old 12-03-2017, 09:24 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by ROB99DISCOSD
Sounds electronic. If you have no fuel from injectors but fuel pressure somethings not telling the injectors to fire. Also no spark at same time like somethings not telling plugs to fire. That’s two major systems not working at the same time I would find it hard to believe both systems had a failure together. I guess what I’m saying is what could cause them BOTH to not work at the same time?
that’s what leads me to believe the computer system may be involved. Any other ideas on what it could be? I’m spending the rest of my night buried in the RAVE lol

Old 12-04-2017, 12:19 PM
4wd Low

[img]webkit-fake-url://03d9c065-6eb6-4c0d-8756-53a1af4d86e6/imagejpeg[/img]
Saw this last night. Gonna replace the main relay and report back...praying it’s not the ECM

Quick Reply: No start help