Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Noise help please...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Noise help please...

Need help id'ing a noise when I'm driving. I can't isolate exactly where it's coming from but it's a high pitch chirping sound from the underside somewhere. I can make it do it when driving in a straight line and slightly turn the wheel to the left, when I straighten back up it quits. It doesn't do it when turned to the right. It stops after a while and it will do it once in a blue moon when first moving in a straight line. I know that's vague but hoping someone may have an idea what's fixing to give out before it gives out.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Probably brake pads rubbing on a rotor.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've recently heard that sound, too. I was kinda hoping whatever it was would fly away . Alot of new sounds after a very rainy humid summer, prolly similar to weather in FL. My sound seems to be coming from up front, on driver side, especially when truck is first driven forward. As ihscouts posted, maybe it's from rust/rubbing on brakes, from humidity/rain overnight ?

If I find out what's causing my sound, I'll post here.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Camel Trophy

It's due to the pistons not relaxing enough to draw pads off rotor. Crud buildup on cups and their seals, worn seals, rusted cups and so on and so forth. Couple of cans or Brake Kleen spray on all the calipers and a visual check of the rotors, you'll see drag marks, darkening.

Bearing wear will allow the rotor to shift ever so much to contact the pads. Remember the calipers are attached to the axle and hub casting. They're stationary and the rotors are attached with a nut that's backed off with a bearing and spindle. The rotors will move off axis just enough to hear a chirp of the pad.

The other thing that causes chirping is your U-joints not having any grease. They don't start to vibrate until the bearings are overheated and then begin failing. Chirp like crazy to a trained ear.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:11 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thx, ihscouts. I'll use your observations and post back here when I determine source of my chirps. Mine does start chirping like crazy the more I drive. Maybe it is U-joints. We'll see.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

The simple test is when it starts chirping take your left foot and apply the brakes while maintaining pressure on the gas pedal with your right foot. If the sound stops then it brake wear. If it doesn't it could be bearings or ujoints.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Rock Crawling

Cool, thanks Guys!

Old 08-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Camel Trophy

You get'n a Pirate sticker fish? I'll block all the Extreme 4X4 Jeep spam after it shows up.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Rock Crawling

Fish did the left foot on brake right foot on gas and noise goes away. know I need brakes but now realize that wheel bearings are more than likely gonna need redone to.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
You get'n a Pirate sticker fish? I'll block all the Extreme 4X4 Jeep spam after it shows up.
LOL, what????

Quick Reply: Noise help please...