Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Noise help please...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

LOL......!!!!!

I got an email from Pirate4X4 for a free Pirate sticker?!? It's paid for by Extreme Terrain, a Jeep aftermarket company. It's about the size of a gas cap, puny but hey it's free. Just wondering if your special like me......

Old 08-24-2013, 11:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
LOL......!!!!!

I got an email from Pirate4X4 for a free Pirate sticker?!? It's paid for by Extreme Terrain, a Jeep aftermarket company. It's about the size of a gas cap, puny but hey it's free. Just wondering if your special like me......
Well my momma always said I was special.....
Now I don't feel so special because I received no such email or sticker. :-(

Old 08-24-2013, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH

Well my momma always said I was special.....
Now I don't feel so special because I received no such email or sticker. :-(
http://www.extremeterrain.com/pirate4x4-freedecal.html

Maybe it went to your spam folder. My 1987 defender must be jeep, other- since it certainly isn't a wrangler.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Hmmmm, not sure I could handle anything that extreme.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishEH
The simple test is when it starts chirping take your left foot and apply the brakes while maintaining pressure on the gas pedal with your right foot. If the sound stops then it brake wear. If it doesn't it could be bearings or ujoints.
I did the simple test above and still heard chirping sound, so it's not due to brake wear. I also realized that the chirping sound is audible at start-up and while idling, not just when my Dscvry is moving. So, my question is:

Could the serpentine belt and its automatic belt tensioner need replacement?

Maybe the chirping sound is coming from the belt tensioner compensating for changes in the belt's length/condition due to wear, weather (lots of heat & moisture this summer), or load changes within the system? It seems that the system is designed to apply a constant force on the belt, so maybe strain on the belt is causing the chirping? Any suggestions appreciated. Thx !

Old 09-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1. Consult boss lady for permission to use one of her non-flight status brooms for a test.

2. Hold side of broomstick to your ear and touch end to various things like alternator, tensioner, idler pulley center, etc. Sound travels well in a solid, and you will be able to hear engine sounds that are drowned out by the symphony under the hood.

3. Yard sticks, long screw drivers, etc. also work, as does a mechanic's stethoscope.

4. Important thing is that this keeps your face, fingers, and dreadlocks out of the belt pathway, where they can be snatched in an instant.

5. If you dis-mount the belt, after making your own drawing of the route, you can turn things by hand to check for roughness.

Da squeeky wheel has lost da grease. Rovers are designed to accentuate loss of lubrication from all possible sources. However, one possible outcome is a seized pulley, belt thrown, possible radiator damage, and you in traffic with grossly overheated Rover. So that $13 pulley won't seem so expensive then.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-13-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
1. Consult boss lady for permission to use one of her non-flight status brooms for a test.

2. Hold side of broomstick to your ear and touch end to various things like alternator, tensioner, idler pulley center, etc. Sound travels well in a solid, and you will be able to hear engine sounds that are drowned out by the symphony under the hood.

3. Yard sticks, long screw drivers, etc. also work, as does a mechanic's stethoscope.

4. Important thing is that this keeps your face, fingers, and dreadlocks out of the belt pathway, where they can be snatched in an instant.

5. If you dis-mount the belt, after making your own drawing of the route, you can turn things by hand to check for roughness.

Da squeeky wheel has lost da grease. Rovers are designed to accentuate loss of lubrication from all possible sources. However, one possible outcome is a seized pulley, belt thrown, possible radiator damage, and you in traffic with grossly overheated Rover. So that $13 pulley won't seem so expensive then.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I understand, and I think I can check the belt path and pulley condition. No prob finding broomstick. I keep them handy to fly away on, but give myself permission to use them for mechanical needs...and stickball, of course .