Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Not just another overheating thread. Sorta.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 12:16 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was the gauge you installed? Did you do that just because the temp gauge on the dash is useless? Have you noticed a difference between the gauge temp and the temp reported by the ecu/coolant temperature sensor?

And my radiator is one of the new nissens ones. So I don't think it will benefit from being rodded. Haha

Old 08-26-2018, 12:42 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty97Disco
What was the gauge you installed? Did you do that just because the temp gauge on the dash is useless? Have you noticed a difference between the gauge temp and the temp reported by the ecu/coolant temperature sensor?

And my radiator is one of the new nissens ones. So I don't think it will benefit from being rodded. Haha
Second gauge is an ultra gauge, google it. Dash gauge is useless, is not sensitive at all, you can be overheating and it will barely move above 1/2. Also I’ve mentioned it before, can’t see if you’ve said you’ve done it, but replace. Temp. Sensors. They’re super cheap, super easy to replace, and could quash the whole thing if in fact you’re getting a false overheat read.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:13 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty97Disco

I don't have an ultra gauge, I have a cheap Equus water temperature gauge that I fed through the firewall all the way to my thermostat housing. I used a 3/8 18 NPT tap like they did old school. The temperatures are very close usually about 8 degrees low on the ECU side compared to my analog gauge and my laser thermometer agrees with them too. I use an Innova 36103 computer to read temps and get live data. So then it sounds like youv'e done everything that could be done to get your temps in check then... so rebuild time?

Old 08-27-2018, 12:18 AM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

And the reason I did that is because I wanted reliable and simple temperatures in the car while I was driving because when I first got it would get real hot. One time before the rebuild the temp climbed to the top on the dash gauge then all Hell broke loose. The oil light came on and it started knocking and I thought for sure it blew up but I must have stuck a lifter. That was when I found a bunch of trash in between the AC condenser and the radiator. I continued to drive it though after switching from the SAE 30 I had in there and going to Rotella. I still run 15-40 after my rebuild too. I did everything you did, everything, but now after my rebuild I see that every thing runs a lot cooler. I don't think I ever mentioned that I run a 160 degree thermostat. Because of how cool its running now I will have to go back to a 190 or 180 before the ski season starts or my heater won't get hot enough to defog my windows.