Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Not starting again

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kamileon
So I pulled the crank sensor this morning to check it out, and to be sure, its located right above the crank pulley correct? And to be certain its supposed to be this one right?
Sensor - Crankshaft | Land Rover Engine Parts at RoverParts.com

Cause if so, this is not what I found installed on my Disco.
Ok what did you find? I'm afraid to ask.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Winching

Yah that looks like the right one although in the RAVE the part # is ERR6049 but it looks to be the same part. You've got the 4.0 GEMS right? Looks like it goes by ERR 6049 or 6119

Last edited by adigerol77; 07-07-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what was installed.

Last edited by kamileon; 07-07-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Winching

Hmmmm, looks like it may be for a manual, doesn't look like it's for our engine. Looks like it's for the 4.4 BMW engine.

Sensor Crankshaft Position | Land Rover Engine Parts at RoverParts.com

Attached Thumbnails Not starting again-rrckps.jpg  
Old 07-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Drifting

This is what was installed.
Wow, that's supposed to be in the timing chain cover. Or at least, that's where mine is.

It would probably be a good idea to install the crankshaft sensor you found at RoverParts.

Last edited by EkaInfinitos; 07-07-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:38 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, the label says 'Made in UK'

Old 07-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Well, the label says 'Made in UK'
You're right. I'm surprised it didn't burst into flames when he removed it.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How hard was that to remove?
I think you have a spark problem, or mass air flow issue. If the fuel is there, then something isn't kickin.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Drifting

So I pulled the crank sensor this morning to check it out, and to be sure, its located right above the crank pulley correct? And to be certain its supposed to be this one right?
Sensor - Crankshaft | Land Rover Engine Parts at RoverParts.com

Cause if so, this is not what I found installed on my Disco.
Oh, wow. Sorry, I read that too quickly. The crankshaft position sensor for the D1 is located on the driver's side near the rear of the engine, a little way up from the bottom. It is near where the engine connects to the bell housing of the transmission. I can post a photo, if you like. The sensor should be hiding behind a heat shield. From the top, you can follow the wires to it so you know where it is when you get beneath the truck. I don't remember what size fasteners are used on either the shield or the sensor itself, but I remember it being a real bugger to get the shield off.

Also, I don't know if I was clear enough before, the sensor you found at Atlantic British here is the correct crankshaft position sensor for your truck. The part you removed from the timing chain cover is, I believe, the camshaft position sensor.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:11 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by EkaInfinitos
Oh, wow. Sorry, I read that too quickly. The crankshaft position sensor for the D1 is located on the driver's side near the rear of the engine, a little way up from the bottom. It is near where the engine connects to the bell housing of the transmission. I can post a photo, if you like. The sensor should be hiding behind a heat shield. From the top, you can follow the wires to it so you know where it is when you get beneath the truck. I don't remember what size fasteners are used on either the shield or the sensor itself, but I remember it being a real bugger to get the shield off.

Also, I don't know if I was clear enough before, the sensor you found at Atlantic British here is the correct crankshaft position sensor for your truck. The part you removed from the timing chain cover is, I believe, the camshaft position sensor.
OK...awesome thanks for the clarification. This is my first Disco and still trying to figure it out. I went through the rave but couldnt really find anything on this. I figured the sensor I removed was supposed to be there, it just seemed right, thats what I get for doubting my common sense again.

Quick Reply: Not starting again