Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Nut polish

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Throw them on and forget about it. Glad Chuck hooked you up with the nuts. I got RTE rear upper and lower shock mounts and RTE front lower shock mounts from him for $60 shipped. The man's got good prices!

Old 07-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah he did right by me, he wanted $20 I threw $30 shipped, USPS flat rate box and there were to my door a few days later.
I got a great deal on them and I am happy.
If they dont clean up well I wont worry about them, but I bet they clean up nice.
My wife didnt even know I bought them until they showed up, of course she rolled her eyes. LOL!!!

Old 07-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
Well then this will be a bit more time consuming but will still work. You can use a drill, they sell a small sand paper or a wire brush type wheel for the drill and a 4 or 5 in diameter soft buffing wheel, get those. Then remove the spare tire so you have some work space and use the studs. Tightened the lug nuts on the studs so they aren't flopping around on you, use the drill to do your cleaning and buffing. Same order soak them in the paste for at least 20 minutes then rinse, tightened on the studs use the wire brush wheel to remove any dirt or grease, then rinse with hose and dry off with rag or towel, now use the polish with soft buffing wheel, """"""" don't forget to wear safety glasses""""""""" as the wire brush wheels tend to come apart and single strands of wires go go a flying., a strand of wire in the eye will F--K UP EVERYTHING
Now there's a thinkin' man, I will do that.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They look like they were painted black at one time. It sounds like an awful lot to go thru just to have shiny nuts. Using the spare mount it will have to be done four separate times since you are talking about a total of twenty nuts to do. I would just install them.

Wonder what they will look like after being on there for a while, especially after going thru mud and such. Mine have been on for a few years and they still look fine.

I guess some people like shiny nuts and wheels.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I worked at a prestressed concrete plant one summer after high school. I saw a guy that had been using a high speed grinder with a wire brush attachement walking aroud in a daze with one of those wire strands sticking out of his eyeball.

Everytime his eye twitched you could see that strand move with his eye. Talk about freaky.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Team Owner

I like my rims and nuts shiny, so shiny that I clean them once a year, the other 12 months they are covered in dirt, mud, road salt and brake dust.

I am being sent metal polish for free from a fellow forum member, I am going to use the metal polish that he sent.

I dont think they were ever painted, they are just old and showing their age.
They are dull and just need to be cleaned up, no big deal.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Phil, Has it been delivered yet ?

Old 07-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
When you get this polish you will want to make a paste out of baking soda and vinegar. Three table spoons of baking soda to two table spoons of vinegar mix with water make a paste, coat lugs with for 20 minutes then hit with wire brush when done use this metal polish and they will look new again!

Wait...you want him to clean his nuts with science fair volcano mix....?

Old 07-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geek_IM
Wait...you want him to clean his nuts with science fair volcano mix....?
Might be stimulating.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The official RAVE procedure is to mix baking soda and vinegar in a capped bottle, then place between your nuts. Make sure to position one nut on each side for maximum cleaning power.

Quick Reply: Nut polish