Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

o2 sensor extraction

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Here's another thought. For $250 you could probably have a small exhaust shop cut out the pipes with the bungs and weld them back in once you remove the sensors.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For that matter, you could cut them out yourself with a recip saw, replace the sensors and reweld them back in if your welder will hack it.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:05 PM

Or you could bite the bullet, the 250 would cover a good bit of the cost of a new exhaust system. In the long run, that would make more sense especially if you plan on keeping the Rover for a while, then you got a new exhaust as well as new o2's.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:28 PM

I wonder if one of the helical bolt extractors would work on the rounded off ones.

No matter what, with it still mounted to the vehicle, you have a tough job ahead.

May the Rover Gods smile upon you, bet you ignored the Sacrifice to the Rover Gods ceremony before you started? That will teach you!

Old 08-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
May the Rover Gods smile upon you, bet you ignored the Sacrifice to the Rover Gods ceremony before you started? That will teach you!
Lol, I did not.

Would that be something like this?

Old 08-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Or you could bite the bullet, the 250 would cover a good bit of the cost of a new exhaust system. In the long run, that would make more sense especially if you plan on keeping the Rover for a while, then you got a new exhaust as well as new o2's.
Thats not a bad idea...

Old 08-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

The problem is most exhaust systems are Cat-back. Meaning the pre-cat O2's are still stuck.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah, but I would have to take the entire thing out regardless, right?

I.e. I could get to the pre-cats very easily?

Old 08-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69
Yeah, but I would have to take the entire thing out regardless, right?

I.e. I could get to the pre-cats very easily?

just breaking the exhaust at the bottom of the manifolds isnt too much work, then you can take all the cats out of the truck and service the front O2s that way...

Old 08-16-2012, 03:34 PM

I remember when I changed my front ones (only did the fronts). I made a walkboard on the driver's side by stacking blocks and using a 2 by 10 to stand on. This allowed better reach and I removed the coil packs and swung them over onto the other side of the intake to get them out of the way.

The front connectors are in a hell of a place, but I managed to get my hand down there and disconnect them. I ended up cutting the wires near the top of the sensors and using a six point deep socket and was able to get them out without much of a problem after soaqking with PB Blaster and making sur the socket was well seated.

And I did not even crank it up to warm it up since the coils were laying aside.

The connectors were the biggest problem.

You might even ch3eck with Paul Grant and see if he has any exhausts in good shape. If so, that will save you some bucks as well.

I have my old ones laying around I think and a set of those extractors as well, but I do not recall if they are that large, I will take a look and see. If you did remove the exhaust as was suggested, someone may be able to burn them out for you if they are good with the Blue Wrench.

As far as the sacrifice to the Rover Gods, mine is Fire, Meat, Drink, Music and scantily clad native girls dancing around the fire. I need to open a service center set up that way.

(Being from Hawaii, you should be familar with the Luai)

If you do remove at either the exhaust manifold or the y-pipe, be prepare with new bolts and gaskets. The Y-pipe gaskets do often burn thru in the center. If you are gonna tear into it that deeply, you may as well replace exhaust manifold gaskets and y-pipe gaskets now so you do not have to tear it down for them later on.

You could even heat wrap the exhaust while you got them apart for a few bucks more.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 08-16-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply: o2 sensor extraction