Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

ODB II Reader

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 03:09 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ODB II Reader

So I'm looking at getting an ODB II scanner so I can keep a closer eye on engine temps and the other useful information I can get out of it. It seems like ultra gauge is the fan favorite around these parts. I'm wondering what benefits it offers over other cheaper options I've seen on Amazon?

Also, has anyone tried the bluetooth version they offer? I think I would prefer going that route just to keep the dash 'cleaner' but wanted to *gauge* all of your opinions first!

Old 12-02-2015, 07:55 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

I run the TorquePro app on my phone along with one of those Bluetooth dongles from Amazon. Works great. Basically anything that is monitored by your vehicle's ECU can be monitored in the app. The dongle can be switched between any number of vehicles very easily. With the purchase of the app and the dongle I think I'm into it for $20. IMO its a better investment than the ScanGauge or UltraGauge. You can also read and clear fault codes with the Torque App.
You get 7 different screens in the app and you can put as many or few gauges on each screen as you like.
Here's one screen I recently set up to monitor all four O2's, RPM, Voltage, Coolant Temp, Fuel Status(open/closed), and MIL status. *Sorry for the lack of reading but I wasn't near the truck when I took the screenshot.
Name:  Screenshot_2015-12-02-07-53-08_zps21ss42jk.png
Views: 666
Size:  159.1 KB

Last edited by fishEH; 12-02-2015 at 07:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Trail-Tailor (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 08:26 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That's pretty slick Fish. I might go this route. Thanks

J

Old 12-02-2015, 09:16 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I like that, too Fish. I guess the only thing you lose is alarms... Or do you get those, too?

Old 12-02-2015, 09:31 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Guys like ultra gauge cause you can mount it and use as gauges , plus read and clear codes, I use one but I also have a scanner for real diagnosis

Old 12-02-2015, 09:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Fish:
Have you tried the TorquePro moving between multiple vehicles? I'm wondering what it would be like, say, you had 2 daily drivers and a Disco ...would you have to go through a lengthy setup process each time you went between them, or does it 'save' a profile for each car/truck, and you just select it when you open the app? Or doesn't it care?

Thanks

Old 12-02-2015, 09:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I use one but I also have a scanner for real diagnosis
Just curious what your 'real' scanner is, how you like it and what it gives you that the gauge doesn't? I have a Harbor Freight code scanner which is almost 10 years old now, which I basically bought on the road for an emergency issues. It was their top of the line unit back then. It reads and clears codes but doesn't provide any real-time data. It can't read or clear brake or transmission codes either. Scanners have improved quite a bit in recent years. I still keep my Snap-on red 'brick' scanner for pre-OBDII vehicles.

Thanks,

Last edited by Mark G; 12-02-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
Guys like ultra gauge cause you can mount it and use as gauges , plus read and clear codes, I use one but I also have a scanner for real diagnosis
I mount my phone(you can also mount an old phone or tablet, whatever) and use it as gauges, along with reading and clearing codes. So I'm not sure what advantage an Ultra Gauge really holds?

Originally Posted by Mark G
Fish:
Have you tried the TorquePro moving between multiple vehicles? I'm wondering what it would be like, say, you had 2 daily drivers and a Disco ...would you have to go through a lengthy setup process each time you went between them, or does it 'save' a profile for each car/truck, and you just select it when you open the app? Or doesn't it care?

Thanks
I have Torque Pro on my personal cell phone, work cell phone, and tablet. Only have to buy it once as long as your Google Play account is linked. I've used the dongle on numerous vehicles and is works seamlessly. No lengthy setup. Plug in the dongle. Turn on Bluetooth on your phone. Open the Torque App. Once your device(phone, tablet, etc) is paired with the dongle it doesn't matter what vehicle the dongle is in. They'll connect and work right away.
The only issue I've had is in our new 2015 Honda Odyssey van. It has Bluetooth and sometimes fights for connectivity with the dongle. Once its paired though its good. It probably wouldn't really be an issue but I'm not hugely techy.

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I like that, too Fish. I guess the only thing you lose is alarms... Or do you get those, too?
You can set up alarms for the different monitors. For example I have a High Temp alarm on my coolant monitor for 200*. It definitely will get your attention!

Old 12-02-2015, 01:10 PM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

All good info, Fish.

For those with iphone, you cannot use Bluetooth. Not sure why, but have been told. Not to worry there are wifi dongles as well. I happen to use an app called "OBD Fusion" which is also customizable with multiple screens. You can monitor anything that is fed to the ECU as well as read and clear codes. fyi

Old 12-02-2015, 01:13 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm gonna throw another vote in for TorquePro. Best $5 I've spent in my whole life I think.

Quick Reply: ODB II Reader