Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

odd coolant leak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Winching
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Question odd coolant leak?

Hi everyone,

I just picked up my Kingsborne 8mm leads today, and on the way back home I pulled into a gas station to fuel up. Before I pulled in someone was blocking the entrance, so I was sitting on a weird angle driving into the station for about a minute.

Driver's side was leaning toward the ground, and the passenger side was leaning up.

Suddenly I noticed steam coming from under the hood. I immediately parked on level ground and shut off the engine and saw coolant running from underneath. I opened the hood and saw coolant everywhere...

Well, I cleaned the area, looked in the coolant resevoir and saw about 1/4 remaining. I decided to start the engine to see if I could spot the leak...

This is where things got weird, as there was no more leaking. I drove 10km keeping an eye on the temp gauge, and no increase, as well as no more coolant leaking...

I am suspecting the reservoir since it was awkwardly angled (the rover that is)...

any other ideas of where to look?

Old 04-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If it didn't leak at all anymore, I'd say you're probably right, but maybe just the cap. If you were at enough of an angle for the liquid to get to the cap, and its leaking slightly, might have pushed the coolant out, where as its usually just leaking a little pressure.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you still have a black expansion tank or have you upgraded to the white colored one? If still black go ahead and upgrade because one of these days you will blow the seams. Been there, done that. I just had a coolant loss issue different that yours but it ended up being the cap. Cheapest and easiest place to start.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Or could be that heat spiked with no forward motion, like fan clutch going bad. Makes me nervous. Wallet starts to shrink....

Old 04-25-2013, 11:50 PM
Winching
Talking

Roverguy7 - I noticed leaking around the seam of the black tank and from the cap as well.

CUpgt - I still have the black reservoir... a white reservoir you say? As I mentioned above in reply to roveryguy7, around the cap, and I did notice a bit of coolant on the seam of the reservoir. Do you have a link to a white reservoir part or a thread?

Savannah Buzz - don't scare me... lol... just had top end rebuilt, new clutch, and a tonne of work... only thing in my wallet right now is moths

Old 04-26-2013, 12:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The black tanks are notorious for blowing. I didn't listen and the truck came home on a roll back. Luckily it was in a parking lot and I shut it down immediately. Get this. http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/PCF101590G.cfm

Old 04-26-2013, 07:47 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

The angle may have been a contributing factor but its not the problem. My truck has been on all kinds of stupid angles when wheeling and I've never had coolant leak. Check the seam of your expansion tank and also the cap.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

The black tanks fail in dramatic fashion. Sort of like taking a chain saw to the upper rad hose, coolant loss is fast and furious. Not a slow overheat. A ticking time bomb. Aside from new sources, the newer ones are a favorite junk yard pick, you have to fly low and fast to get ahead of the other partz vulturez.

A leaky seam can behave like a bad cap, won't hold good pressure.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:26 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where the black tanks recalled and replaced by the dealership with the white ones back in those days? Or was it just a ticking time bomb and replaced by the owners when it failed? I have the white tank but I always thought that it was original to the Rover.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Winching
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CUpgt
The black tanks are notorious for blowing. I didn't listen and the truck came home on a roll back. Luckily it was in a parking lot and I shut it down immediately. Get this. Expansion Tank (Genuine Part # PCF101590) - Land Rover cooling/heating from Atlantic British
CUpgt - So is that a better reservoir that Land Rover made afterwards or is it just a different model?

Originally Posted by fishEH
The angle may have been a contributing factor but its not the problem. My truck has been on all kinds of stupid angles when wheeling and I've never had coolant leak. Check the seam of your expansion tank and also the cap.
FishEH - I realize that, but it was just the most peculiar thing to happen. This has never happened before on any wheeling trips where I am really at odd angles. It is looking more and more like the seam and cap.

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
The black tanks fail in dramatic fashion. Sort of like taking a chain saw to the upper rad hose, coolant loss is fast and furious. Not a slow overheat. A ticking time bomb. Aside from new sources, the newer ones are a favorite junk yard pick, you have to fly low and fast to get ahead of the other partz vulturez.

A leaky seam can behave like a bad cap, won't hold good pressure.
Savannah Buzz - I guess I will have to take a trip to the junk yard first. Are the "newer" ones the white ones that CUpgt linked to?

Originally Posted by Disco28
Where the black tanks recalled and replaced by the dealership with the white ones back in those days? Or was it just a ticking time bomb and replaced by the owners when it failed? I have the white tank but I always thought that it was original to the Rover.
Disco28 - I would be very curious to know if that were the case. I just recall the fuel tanks being an issue.

Cheers, and thank you all for the input and time with my questions

Quick Reply: odd coolant leak?