Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Odd noise from engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Odd noise from engine

Best described as a whooshing noise. As I rev the engine it makes this whooshing noise. Happens in or out of gear. Seems to quiet down as I drive it. If I had to geuss it has something to do with the oil. I recently
did a transmission fluid filter and refilled with new dex merc high mileage.
I do not hear what I would consider a transmission noise.

I had it before doing a oil change but it would quiet down fairly quickly. Since then I put in 5w30 castrol full synthetic oil. Now it seems to take longer to quiet down.

Anyone else have this? Is it normal or should I worry?

Old 07-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had used 5w30 in mine a while back ,just because I had six quarts on hand purchased for a previous car. It began to clatter at idle and was noisier than usual.

I was told by Spike the 5w30 is not heavy enough so I plan to never use it again. I am currently running 10w40 Castol Extended stuff. Will probably switch to the Rotella 15w whatever next time.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Makes sense. going on a trip starting thurs, including some light back country. Think I will switch it out.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Your oil won't make a whooshing sound. Pop the hood and rev it up. You need to pinpoint where it is coming from. You could have a pulley locking up or a bad vacuum leak. Check it out and don't put it on the oil if you are making a long trip.

That said, I have 195K, it is 100 degrees out and I run 10W30 Royal Purple all year long

Old 07-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Winching
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

I had the same thing and it was the vac line on the left side valve cover to plenum that had a hole in it.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Are you sure its not your clutch fan coming on?
When it is doing it open the hood and rev the engine by hand, if it blows your hair back its the fan kicking in.
Could be your fan clutch is bad, could be something else.

You can get away with the super thin oil if you run a true full synthetic like Royal Purple or Amsoil, but with dino oil or a faux full syn like Mobil 1...no go.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using 5w-30 in mine for awhile now and have had no problems. It actually seems to run smoother with the lower viscosity oil and doesn't tick anymore. I plan on putting 5w-40 in it next change though. As stated, pin point the noise and get back to us.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Three Wheeling

a whooshing noise sounds like a vacuum leak, especially if it only happens when you are reving the engine. check the intake boot and vacuum hoses for cracks or breaks. Due to the extreme heat of the engine the rubber wear out easily and cracks causing leaks.

Last edited by Silver_Slug; 07-21-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

After thinking, I am with Spike. Check your fan clutch. With the engine off and cold, try to turn the fan. Feel how much resistance there is. Drive it until it stops whooshing, then shut it off and feel the resistance. If it feels looser, it is your clutch making the noise.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Well. I flushed the coolant and replaced the resevoir yesterday evening and while it was flushing I decided to have a look for the vacuum leak idea.

I didn't find 1, I found 3. Being a technician myself I thought, surely I could not have missed a vacuum leak. I would be wrong.

Whooshing sound is all but gone. Think I still have a little noise from the viscous fan clutch but nothing like I heard before. I wonder how much better my fuel economy will be?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Esp for the vacuum line one!
I am going to switch to a thicker oil after the trip as I am not due for another 1000 miles for a oil change which I should just about be at after the trip.

I will post lots of pics of our trip to the San Juans after we get back!

Quick Reply: Odd noise from engine