Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Oh the shame (queue head hung low and sad music)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 12:14 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
ngarover, 4 cylinder with an auto and hard top? did you have to get out and push it up hills? lol my 4 cylinder with manual and soft top was slow enough..I can only imagine how bad one with an auto and hard top must be
Believe me, it was no power house. I don't think it ever got better than 13-15mpg either. What killed me was the fact I owned a new 2002 cadillac SLS with the northstar V8 at the same time, and it got 20-24mpg, weighed a LOT more, had way more power and every amenity you could think of. While the jeep was in getting tranny 2 I joked with the mechanic that they should just put that engine and tranny in.

I honestly think the 6 cyl version of the jeep gets better milage than the 4, cause friends around here claim 16-18 in their wagoneers.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UpChuck
One of the reasons I convinced myself I could handle the bad Disco mileage was because the mileage on that 4-cyl wasn't too great to begin with. I only had 31" tires, no lift and stock gearing. I stopped keeping track of my mileage in the Jeep a long time ago, but I don't think I ever saw anything over 17, which usually included a fair amount of highway driving. So I really don't think you'll see a whole lot of fuel use benefits with your Jeep, but at least you can use the cheap gas in it!
Now, if you could get your hands on one of the jeeps from 1984 when they had that extremely short run of them with the Renult 4-cyl diesel.... I was talking with a guy that owns one and he says he gets 30 mpg. Of course, you can't find parts for that engine anywhere in the US anymore, except for the one winobago place...

I have one of these engines sitting in my yard right now and have been parting it out, hence why I was talking to the guy, came out of my 85 Lesharo that I'm swapping a 3.8 supercharged Buick into.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Discomedic, I think you should go spank a supermodel (w/video) as punishment.

My brother just got rid of his '99 wrangler same stuff as yours, I drove it 6hrs to Iowa, top speed (windy day) 74mph, but rode nice.

I agree, they're more like toys. (we wore jackets in the winter)

luck,greg

Old 08-28-2010, 07:33 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by greg409
Discomedic, I think you should go spank a supermodel (w/video) as punishment.
I am on it! I like your way of punishing there greg.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guy's slaming the Wrangler 4-banger for their power(probabaly rightfully so,never drove one), you should try driving a Samurai as a DD. I did just that, 2 of them back-to back, when I was in my late teens-early twenties(i.e.-didn't care).

The stock 1.3 shouldn't have even been put in mopeds. I got beat in drag races with the boy down the road on his 10-speed bike. Luckily, that was back when the speed limit was still 55(still barely do that) Leaf springs all around-rode like a tank(worse actually)

The second one I owned, I did swap a 1.6 injected out of a Sidekick. That actually had some get-up-and-go(meaning it could do the speed limit) Forget heat in the winter, even with a hardtop.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Winching

LOL. Funny you should say that kenk. I got passed earlier by a mom jogging with a stroller. And that was on the highway. LOL. The 4 banger really shouldn't have been an option on the wrangler either. But it will get me around and the wife and kids absolutely love it.