Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

oil leak from plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 05:18 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil leak from plug

On a roll last few days...
Next up is how to stop a leak coming out of a plug just above the oil filter? This plughas some sort of retainer ring inside it. Once i get the oil pressure up by revving the engine, out comes some oil. Drip drip drip.....

Old 06-12-2016, 09:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

if it's where I think it is, that may be a pressure relief valve....if you remove the retaining ring........and the planets are alligned correctly, and you have recently made a sacrifice to the Rover Gods.....the spring pressure will push the valve out and you can install a new o-ring on it and put it back together. search and find the correct oring first

Old 06-13-2016, 10:27 AM
Mudding

Is this the oil pressure relief valve??? And how do I know what part o-ring to get?

The ring with the clip

Old 06-13-2016, 10:28 AM
Mudding
Old 06-13-2016, 10:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

yup....that's the oil pressure relief valve....the o-ring needs to be exactly what it's meant to be you'll be doing it again....I would bite the bullet and contact a dealer....or a rover repair shop, I've never seen a real part number for it.....but there has to be one..lol...since this engine is basically an old Buick, maybe you could go that route

Old 06-15-2016, 09:10 PM
Mudding

I went to my local Land Rover dealer in Alpharetta Ga. and lo and behold, they couldn't even tell me the part # nor a proper pic of it. I went and got a O-Ring kit (Viton I believe) and will tackle this soon.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by dsmeddy
I went to my local Land Rover dealer in Alpharetta Ga. and lo and behold, they couldn't even tell me the part # nor a proper pic of it. I went and got a O-Ring kit (Viton I believe) and will tackle this soon.
Please report back with PN and vendor if good to go. Hope all goes well with the o-ring replacement.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:55 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I recently did this... O-Ring size is 19mm x 1.5mm. I found a local supplier here that carried Viton (trademark) o-rings and the parts guy gave me two for free.

You can use any o-ring you want as long as it is 19mm x 1.5mm

The real challenge is reinstalling the relief valve with just two hands... you need one more hand to align everything properly and install the circa-clip back in lol.

The following 3 users liked this post by archaeology_student:
dsmeddy (06-17-2016), number9 (06-17-2016), XCELLER8 (06-18-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 12:04 PM
Mudding

Archaeology_Student.... Where in the heck did you find that O-Ring?.... I am getting stumped. I got a Viton kit from Harbor Freights thinking for sure it would have the right size but to no avail.... It did not. Now I have the OPRV out and no O-ring a dingy

Old 06-19-2016, 02:23 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dsmeddy
Archaeology_Student.... Where in the heck did you find that O-Ring?.... I am getting stumped. I got a Viton kit from Harbor Freights thinking for sure it would have the right size but to no avail.... It did not. Now I have the OPRV out and no O-ring a dingy
dsmeddy,

I phoned a few places locally that sell hydraulic hose fittings and asked if they sold viton branded o-rings, or if they could point me to someone locally. Sometimes it's easier to pick up the phone and make new acquaintances than trying to find stuff online. I eventually found a local supplier called FluidSeal... look for something similar in your area, and give them a call... I jokingly told them it was for a land rover and they warmed up to me

Just give them the size I mentioned when you find your local hydraulic hose fitting supplier 19mm x 1.5mm

Quick Reply: oil leak from plug