Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

oil light need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil light need help

My oil light has been coming on at idle. It does not always come on. Some times it flashes other times it comes on fully. I checked the oil level, its fine. If the light is on as soon as I touch the gas it goes away. I have no idea where to start.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Best place to start is to check the pressure with a gauge.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:27 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Start with an oil change to Delo 15w40 Heavy Duty oil. See if the problem is too thin oil. And do a oil pressure test if you can.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Start with an oil change to Delo 15w40 Heavy Duty oil. See if the problem is too thin oil. And do a oil pressure test if you can.
I'll pick up some amsoil.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rover11
I'll pick up some amsoil.
Amsoil is good stuff, but not really required for a Rover. It's just going to leak out anyway

Rotella-T is probably going to be a good alternative...it's designed for diesel engines meaning it's full of detergents that will keep it from sludging up since our engines run hot.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Mudding

I have a bunch of amsoil 10w 30 should i try changing the oil with that?

Old 03-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by rover11
I have a bunch of amsoil 10w 30 should i try changing the oil with that?
I'm going to be honest with you, I think you will be wasting your money.
These engines are hard on oil, you cant go 20,000 miles on a oil change, even with the Amsoil.
These engines love the thicker oil, like 15w-40 or 20w-50. I use HD-30 in the summer in mine and 5w-40 in the winter, and I always use Rotella.
Use the Amsoil if you want but if your oil light comes back on at idle you will need to drain it out and switch to a 15w-40 or 20w-50 anyway.
Change it every 3-5k no matter what oil you use.
And if you havent done it yet you may want to drop the oil pan and clean up the oil pick up screen on the oil pump, it becomes clogged with oil sludge that breaks loose and that can lower oil psi.
Thats not a hard job, just time consuming and you can use RTV to make a new gasket.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:15 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
These engines are hard on oil, you cant go 20,000 miles on a oil change, even with the Amsoil.
These engines love the thicker oil, like 15w-40 or 20w-50. I use HD-30 in the summer in mine and 5w-40 in the winter, and I always use Rotella.
Use the Amsoil if you want but if your oil light comes back on at idle you will need to drain it out and switch to a 15w-40 or 20w-50 anyway.
And if you havent done it yet you may want to drop the oil pan and clean up the oil pick up screen on the oil pump, it becomes clogged with oil sludge that breaks loose and that can lower oil psi.
Thats not a hard job, just time consuming and you can use RTV to make a new gasket.

This is good to see being as I've been running 20-50w as I noticed I get better oil pressure with it especially in the summer (Texas). 10-40w in the winter.

OP I had a similar problem with mine when I got it a few years back. I pulled and cleaned my oil pan & screen etc, still the problem came back intermittently. Turns out the spade connector for the pressure switch is right next to the head of a bolt that holds the timing chain cover on. When I went through deep water that's when I got the oil light coming on sometimes. I think the water was shorting the wire for the sender to ground, causing the light to come on. Anyway I long story short, I put in a T so I could have a proper oil pressure gauge and keep the light sender functional, thus relocating the sender connection away from the bolt head. Since then I've not had the light come on in 4 years. Plus I have a gauge for re-assurance.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
I'm not trying to disagree or push amsoil. I can get it for the same price as regular oil. Can I pick up rotella at auto zone? How many qts do I need?

Old 03-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Thats the beauty of Rotella, you can buy it anywhere.
Wal-Mart sells it for $11 a gal.
Go ahead with the Amsoil if you want.
The '97 takes 7 qts.

Quick Reply: oil light need help