Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

OK, cheap lift/fj80 coils

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fj80's ran '91 to '97, at least in the US. And they use the same coils.

Last edited by kenk; 03-17-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:30 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AKdisco
one more thing................when your axle is drooping completely to expand the coil as far as possible to get it to drop out DO NOT HAVE YOUR HAND INSIDE THE COIL WHEN YOU REMOVE THE SHOCK BOLT. The shock has a tendancy to snap up and take most of the skin off whatever finger is in the way, ask me how I know
So how do you know? Any pics? Could you do a write-up on how to duplicate this skin removal process?

Old 03-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
So how do you know? Any pics? Could you do a write-up on how to duplicate this skin removal process?

Official write up......Its Alaska, its 5pm, sun setting in a little over an hour, its cold, I'm sitting in ice/slush, I'm loosing daylight, I gotta get this done to drive to work tommorow, did I mention I was cold, wife yelled out to me 30 minutes ago that dinner was ready, in a hurry, didnt think about jacking axle back up to relieve tension from shock, fingers in coil stopping the shock body from turning as I ratchet the shock nut off, its almost there, arm cramping up, last thread, BOOM shock nut comes off, shock recoils up into coil, finger goes rip, mouth goes FUC*. THE END.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the writeup AK. I'm getting my FJ80 coils this weekend. I wanna try this as a temp lift until some xtra $$ rolls in for a legit kit. BTW got any pics of the Disco lifted?

Old 03-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Mudding

fingers in coil stopping the shock body from turning as I ratchet the shock nut off, its almost there, arm cramping up, last thread, BOOM shock nut comes off, shock recoils up into coil, finger goes rip, mouth goes FUC*. THE END.
I used a pipe-wrench to keep the shock from turning.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Mudding

Anyone have a measurement of the size of the front fj coils?

Old 03-18-2011, 02:30 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Official write up......Its Alaska, its 5pm, sun setting in a little over an hour, its cold, I'm sitting in ice/slush, I'm loosing daylight, I gotta get this done to drive to work tommorow, did I mention I was cold, wife yelled out to me 30 minutes ago that dinner was ready, in a hurry, didnt think about jacking axle back up to relieve tension from shock, fingers in coil stopping the shock body from turning as I ratchet the shock nut off, its almost there, arm cramping up, last thread, BOOM shock nut comes off, shock recoils up into coil, finger goes rip, mouth goes FUC*. THE END.
Sweet write-up. This should be a sticky. Thanks for being my laugh for the day. I needed that.
Back on topic, thanks for the fj80 info.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

All I can tell you is that the front FJ80 coils will have one end that tapers down(thats why you gotta flip the spring plate). Also the stock fj80 coils were about 2.5" - 3" longer than the disco coils were but they are not as tightly wound. Have fun. Took me about 2 hours the first time and about 1 hour the second time to swap everything around by myself.
So I did some digging around, talked to some salvage yards. E-mailed some sites. And found this:
FJ80's had 3 lengths of springs. Here is an e-mail response from Cruiserparts.com

Are you lifting a 4Runner? There are 3 different spring types, 7 wrap (1.5”), 7.5 wrap (2”-2.5”), and 8 wrap (3”-3.5”).
Thanks,
Pat

From AKdisco's quote I guess I should buy the 7.5 Wrap? Or what?

Old 03-25-2011, 11:06 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by calebbo
So I did some digging around, talked to some salvage yards. E-mailed some sites. And found this:
FJ80's had 3 lengths of springs. Here is an e-mail response from Cruiserparts.com

Are you lifting a 4Runner? There are 3 different spring types, 7 wrap (1.5”), 7.5 wrap (2”-2.5”), and 8 wrap (3”-3.5”).
Thanks,
Pat

From AKdisco's quote I guess I should buy the 7.5 Wrap? Or what?
I will go count how many wraps I used. I'd say yeah, the 7.5 wrap would be ideal.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Mudding

Ok, well I counted the wraps on the coils I got from the FJ80, I have the 7.5 wrap coils from the FRONT of a FJ80 on the rear of my Disco, I have the rear stock disco springs on the front. I also scored 5 almost brand new Goodyear MTR's off a Jeep Rubicon size 245 75 R16. I got all 5 tires in trade for some extra chains, Straps, Clevices and a ****** block that I had!. Anyway, heres a pic of my Rover now. The 245's are a nice up grade, power didnt seem affected and the sidewalls seem to be much stronger on these because my disco just seems to be more stable than before. I HAD 225 70 R16 street tires before. The 245's stuff real nice with no rubbing at full flex. The FJ80 coils I have on the rear are flexy! When I stuffed the rear right tire the dang bumper on that side was almost touching the ground it seemed. Anyway heres a pic in the wash bay from this morning.

Last edited by AKdisco; 03-25-2011 at 12:19 PM.

Quick Reply: OK, cheap lift/fj80 coils