Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

ok, close to selling!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok, close to selling!!

hello everyone, i've been following some threads here for some time and i'm running out of options; well here it is my situation: i bought a 96 rover disco se7, had no clue what i was getting into, i went to get the truck inspected since i live in north carolina, well i got to the inspection station and did not pass, well i went to advance auto and got a obd II scanner and it came up with a P1316, and 0307 code, i have tried everything based on what i read in this forum, including but not limited to: changed spark plugs, and wires, changed alternator, changed belt, changed TPS, changed IACV, changed the plenum, changed throttle body, changed crank pos sensor, changed cam pos sensor, changed all fluids, and i just got a Y pipe with all 4 sensors that still in my garage pending me being off so i can work on it, now before you'll get all crazy, all the parts came out of a 97 rover disco but not the SE7, but the SE, i figure its the same engine except for the extras. after i changed all those parts i mentioned i havent seen the p1316, but now i have another code that deals with the STFT( short throttle fuel trim) and it says its failure to lean, B1. im really close to put the disco for sale cause even though i want to figure it out, my job wont let me, and its frustrating to see it park and not be able to register it. any help will really be apreciate it

ps. by the way i want to make it a trail rig, with some 33's and 2 in lift kit, any sugestions welcome.

Last edited by elpapisf; 05-11-2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: adding ps.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Bank 1 injectors, same side as cylinder 1. What's the code?

Old 05-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

If you go to the link in my signature for GEMS engine manual, it has a section that covers the fuel trim codes, which are related to O2 sensor monitoring and such. Perhaps by knowing how the code is computed it will point you in another direction.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:34 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

God... this brings back memories....

Old 05-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ngarover
God... this brings back memories....
And the cure for yours was a "For Sale" sign wasn't it?

Old 05-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spike555
And the cure for yours was a "For Sale" sign wasn't it?
Kind of, but after I finally fixed it. Ended up being a bad ECU. The guy I bought it from ended up buy it back, and I still ride in it quite often. Maybe I'll buy it back from him once again...

Old 05-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by elpapisf
hello everyone, i've been following some threads here for some time and i'm running out of options; well here it is my situation: i bought a 96 rover disco se7, had no clue what i was getting into, i went to get the truck inspected since i live in north carolina, well i got to the inspection station and did not pass, well i went to advance auto and got a obd II scanner and it came up with a P1316, and 0307 code, i have tried everything based on what i read in this forum, including but not limited to: changed spark plugs, and wires, changed alternator, changed belt, changed TPS, changed IACV, changed the plenum, changed throttle body, changed crank pos sensor, changed cam pos sensor, changed all fluids, and i just got a Y pipe with all 4 sensors that still in my garage pending me being off so i can work on it, now before you'll get all crazy, all the parts came out of a 97 rover disco but not the SE7, but the SE, i figure its the same engine except for the extras. after i changed all those parts i mentioned i havent seen the p1316, but now i have another code that deals with the STFT( short throttle fuel trim) and it says its failure to lean, B1. im really close to put the disco for sale cause even though i want to figure it out, my job wont let me, and its frustrating to see it park and not be able to register it. any help will really be apreciate it

ps. by the way i want to make it a trail rig, with some 33's and 2 in lift kit, any sugestions welcome.
The biggest issue when doing this sort of part swapping is of course, you could end up putting in another totally different problem... especially since your using used parts. This of course causes other issue not related to the first problem and creates a vicious circle.

Save some time and money and get the truck to the dealer and have them run a full diagnostic, ask for the printout. Or find someone with a scanner that can actually work with the truck beyond auto zones free scanner...

Keep in mind, that even though it's a "dealer" most are totally clueless when it comes to a truck this old. Most of the "techs" will have rarely if ever worked on one of these. It's even worse when talking about the other 80's Mercedes I work on... Unless the tech happens to be in there 50's and been there forever, forget about it...

That said, they DO have the correct computer to read your system and give you a clearer understanding of what is going on...

That said, take a quick look at other solutions....

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...esolved-47838/

P0307 - Misfire Cylinder #7 detected... that's a misfire code. Could be anything form a bad coil, to a stuck leaky injector, bad spark plug, wire... It's where the fun starts...

Last edited by ngarover; 05-12-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well since the O2's have the major input and it processes thru the ECU, those would be the first paths I would pursue.

As far as doing 33's and such, that is rarely really needed unless you are going to play in some rough areas that most people have little business venturing into anyway.

The least expensive path would be to dump it before spending another dime and calling it a lesson in life. But what fun would that be?

Of course selling it presents other issues, like do I tell the potential buyer how big a problem I have had and that it will not pass inspection as it is and accepting the little bit ity is worth in that condition or do I keep my mouth shut and try to get as much for it as someone else is dumb enough to pay because it is a Wonderful Fantastic much desired Land Rover?

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Or you could attempt parting it out as another alternative.

Live and Learn.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 05-21-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone, sorry i wrote and ran, i'm in the army so sometimes i have to play in the woods, anyways, the code that keeps popping out is P1138 wich according to the scanner i used is short fuel trim failed to lean B1, im about to get a couple of days off and i kind of want fix this thing, first off im not a quitter, so selling the truck for now is not an option, second i would never sell something that doesnt work, unless whats broke, didnt matter, like in Sc there is no emissions to worry about. Anyway, here is my plan of attack, as you guys read on my prior post, i already have a bunch of parts installed, so what im working on right now is to put catalystic converters that i bought used from a guy that parted his rover, if that doesnt work then i guess ill be opening the vale covers and go from there, unless you experts can point me in the right direction, thanks for your time

Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Winching

put a set of new o2 sensors in. It's not hard and I'm betting it solves your issue.

Quick Reply: ok, close to selling!!