Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

OM617 Diesel to Discovery 1 R380 Swap Completed

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 10:38 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OM617 Diesel to Discovery 1 R380 Swap Completed

For a lot of the experts - the belief was it does not work the way it is supposed to.

Well it does and it does beautifully. The secret is in the adapter & keeping everything original. Using the V8 flywheel and mating it to the R380. I now have a drawing/sketch and one can order 6061 material from ebay and machine it on a cheap milling machine from TW. Maybe I found it easy being a German Trained Tool &Die Maker- but almost any one who can read a caliper can do it. I have Log of all that needs to be done but - its very easy. Since I work alone it took me 2 months only week ends as I work for Eaton Aerospace.

Took the Disco out for a test drive and it drives like a charm with a engine that has 200k+ miles. If i rebuild it with a High performance pump then I think it will fly. or me it was proof of concept and I chose a Disco with a poor body- but who says I cannot move it into a Disco 2 .
I probably spent $1200 including the engine so not bad for a ultimate 4x4- but may be I will do a few things differently next time.
Hey if any one wants to go this route - call me I can provide step by step and the adapter drawing to machine it. Ravind Shrotria- Trikemann

6061 adapter cut on a Rongfu Milling machine purchased for $600 from a GA tech guy

Back of the adapter - had to bore out the hole for the starter - used the Mercedes starter- the V8 starter is too weak

Do not drink and mill- Plunge milled the clearance hole a bit- was drinking beer and machining.

Sorry about the mess in the garage- I work alone but all mated up and looks pretty

Another view of the starter installed

What a beautiful adapter- Thank the Germans for teaching me how to machine on a manual machine- If I had a CNC it would be better.

My engine stand- welded from left over scooter crates from China- Paid my neighbor $10 for his scrap and my stand

The Old Clutch- I have a new one - now that the Proof of Concept is done -I will soup up the engine and put a new clutch.

That little block to hold the starter- made a mistake with the hole on one side- but you live and learn