Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

One last lift question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To buy not install*

Old 07-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Mudding

i have done every lift for every jeep i have owned in my back yard in the rocks. not really to hard or to many parts involved. all you need is a 2 ton lift 2 safety stands and a bottle jack to push down you axle from the frame to get the old springs out and the new longer ones in without fighting to much. quite easy really.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Mudding

oh to buy just do some shopping around. you can look around on this forum to find massive debates on what lift is best and where to get it. so just look around. i am going to try a procomp lift with shocks. i have worked a lot with procomp on many of my past rigs and has worked out very well. im sure i will get hell for saying i am going to use procomp but hay. do whats best for you. if it fits your budget and you feel it will work up to you.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd just buy a Terrafirma 2" kit with springs and shocks. Comes with everything you need. Made sure to get soft for stock weight vehicle, medium for some additional equipment, or heavy duty for lots of additional equipment. HD on a stock weight truck can lift it too high. If you're on the west coast I'd buy from British Pacific. On the East coast I'd try Atlantic British, Will Tillery, Rovahfarm, or Lucky8llc.

Last edited by EricTyrrell; 07-25-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

you can even create your own package.....I did.. med duty on the rear, light duty springs in front. You will eventually want the +2" shocks ... but for street driving they are not absolutely necessary at first if you are on a budget, however because the front shocks are inside the front springs....you may want to do them at the same time as you'll have to remove the shock to get the spring out anyway. FWIW I have Terrafirma springs and shocks and am very pleased so far. I did the rear first and drove it that way for a month or so before I could afford to do the front.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Actually the front shocks lift out the top. No need to remove spring.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
Actually the front shocks lift out the top. No need to remove spring.
I think what he means is that the front shocks have to come out to put new springs in anyways. So you'd be saving yourself some work by replacing the front shocks when you do the springs.

Tip for the OP. Start spraying every bolt/nut with PB Blaster 1-2 times per day for a week leading up till the install. If when removing the nuts they start to get really tight, STOP. Tighten the nut back down, clean the exposed threads on the bolt off with a wire brush, spray it with PB. Keep doing this till the nuts come off easily. If the nuts start to bind and you keep going you risk snapping off the bolt, which can be a big issue with the shock tower retaining rings and the rear upper shock mounts.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I put the Pro-Comp plus two's all around on my 97 a few years ago and no problems whatsoever.

Here's a good listing of several different brands and prices for comparison. Buy what you can afford, but try to by the best so you ony do it once!

Land Rover Discovery I Suspension Kits, Parts Available from RoversNorth.com

Old 07-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Mudding

thats good news for me. i am going to be running 2" procomp with 4" shocks with custom mounts front and rear. the front is going to be hard and may not be able to do custom mounts. but will be doing custom in the back.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Scharfire
thats good news for me. i am going to be running 2" procomp with 4" shocks with custom mounts front and rear. the front is going to be hard and may not be able to do custom mounts. but will be doing custom in the back.
What do you mean "4inch shocks"? It's kind of a pet peeve of mine that shock companies label things "+2 and +4". It tells you they're longer but doesn't give you any real info.

Anyways, I made custom lower mounts front and rear. They're all easy to make with an angle grinder with a cut off wheel. Some D2 shock towers I'm the front are cheap and get the job done.
Here are my front lower mounts.
I've also got some RTE front and rear lower shock mounts for sale if you're interested.
Name:  utf-8BSU1BRzExNDYuanBn.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  158.6 KB
Name:  IMAG1147.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  114.5 KB

Last edited by fishEH; 07-27-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Quick Reply: One last lift question