Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

One last lift question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my experience the larger the shock the not down travel it has. But it's all on how you mount them. You can mount them to give less up and more down or equal. I'm going to mount my fronts almost straight up and down but with a little slant to let it have more down than up travel. Also with bump stups to keep the shocks from bottoming out. But the backs are going to be at a 45 degree angle to let maximum up and down travel. Also allowing the shocks to do their job. Once I get my lift and shocks I'll post pictures of how I did it and how it rides. It will be a few months. In the process of fixing cooling system and moving to another state where there is no smog!

Old 07-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Three Wheeling

So if I have a brush gaurd and a roofrack should I get med or heavy springs

Old 07-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Scharfire
From my experience the larger the shock the not down travel it has. But it's all on how you mount them. You can mount them to give less up and more down or equal. I'm going to mount my fronts almost straight up and down but with a little slant to let it have more down than up travel. Also with bump stups to keep the shocks from bottoming out. But the backs are going to be at a 45 degree angle to let maximum up and down travel. Also allowing the shocks to do their job. Once I get my lift and shocks I'll post pictures of how I did it and how it rides. It will be a few months. In the process of fixing cooling system and moving to another state where there is no smog!
Sounds like you're trying to reinvent the wheel. What's wrong with the stock shock mount locations? Convert the lowers and front towers to accept loop shocks and you'll open up your shock choices tremendously.
I'm curious to know your end goal. What size tires, keeping sways, dislocation cones, etc?
The way these trucks are you'll end up having more down travel than uptravel I can almost guarantee. My rears have about 4" of uptravel and 7.25" of downtravel.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Mudding

i really want to run custom links push the back axle back about 2 inches. clear 37's and full width axles. arb's front and rear with hydro assist steering. tube finders. i understand they really are not meant for that but it would be pretty cool to be able to take a family rig out and be able to crawl over anything i point at it.

i also really want to take out stock tcase and replace it with like a dana 300 and twin stick it.

but my first goal is to do 2 or 3" lift cut finders and run 33 12.5 r 15 steal rims with beadlocks due to weight of truck. get HD axles with maybe the start of arb's or ox locks.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i really want to run custom links push the back axle back about 2 inches. clear 37's and full width axles. arb's front and rear with hydro assist steering. tube finders. i understand they really are not meant for that but it would be pretty cool to be able to take a family rig out and be able to crawl over anything i point at it.

i also really want to take out stock tcase and replace it with like a dana 300 and twin stick it.

but my first goal is to do 2 or 3" lift cut finders and run 33 12.5 r 15 steal rims with beadlocks due to weight of truck. get HD axles with maybe the start of arb's or ox locks.
Something tells me you have owned a jeep before?

Good luck mating the Dana 300. Full width axles is a lot more work than it's worth. Toyota 30 spline is the way to go for 37's. You can run 4.88's and with the LT230 you will get anywhere you want.

What are your plans on suspension?

an OX doesnt make lockers for rovers. It's ARB's, Ashcroft lockers/LSD, Detroit, Kam E-lockers. I think Ashcroft's air lockers are the best bet.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Mudding

i don't have a plan yet for suspension. i think i want to run kings front and rear.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't have a plan yet for suspension. i think i want to run kings front and rear.

14's plus require cutting hood and cargo floor/wheel wells. I'm running 5" rte springs and fox shocks all around but next step would be coil overs.