Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

P1316 Discovery I issue resolved

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 02:48 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1316 Discovery I issue resolved

Hello
I am new to the forum but I have read up on this issue several times as I had this issue. I told myself that once I have fixed at least my issue I will let people know. So here it goes

I have a 1996 Discovery I SE. It threw a P1316 code.

First I have changed the plugs and used the cheap plugs with the wires. I also threw in Seafoam treatment and cleaned the TPS

These did not but the plugs had to be changed

So I looked around and I thought to myself with my luck it would be the most expensive part. The MAF sensor. Autozone sells it for $800+... I am not paying that so I went to ebay and got it for $106
LAND/RANGE ROVER MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR METER MAF 95-99 | eBay

I also got an ignition coil set of 4 from ebay for $80
Discovery Land Rover Range Ignition Coil Set of 4 V8 Kit | eBay

these had a dramatic improvement in performance (mainly from the MAF sensor as I installed that first and the improvement was immediate) but the code still flared up. The vehicle drove a lot better at least.

Then I went to the muffler shop. Two of the manifold gaskets were blown and I had them fixed. I cleared the code afterwards and drove around. I waited a week to see if the check engine light will come on and it didnt.

So my theory on fixing this issue.
New MAF and check manifolds. I read somewhere that if the manifold is damaged the ecu will think the gas is running lean and will try to enrich it thus making the car run rich.

I am no means a mechanic so do not take it 100% from me. But I hope this helps people with this insane issue

Old 02-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very interesting indeed. Wonder where those MA's are made? I have read that most aftermarket MAF's are not that good for D1's. Hope yours works out.

I tried to click on the link for the coil packs but it never came up.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Three Wheeling

Curious to know how that MAF works out. Keep us posted. Where exactly are the gaskets you replaced?

Old 03-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You threw alot of parts at it for a misfire, good 8 mm silicone wires and plugs would have fixed it.
The MAF was not a player in the 1316 which is an emission misfire, next time check with us first and save both time and money.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:14 PM
4wd Low

When I bought my land rover about a month ago. 3 and 8 didn't fire at all. I replaced plugs and all the wires with brand new wires. this fixed cylinder 8. 3 was still giving me problems and i pulled 3 at the coil and didn't see a spark. Replace the coil and all is fine so far.... for the most part.

Maybe this will help. My car seemed fine for the most part with 3 not firing but the code P1316 would keep popping until I replaced the coil.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:40 AM

What is the best way to test or check coil to isolate a problem?

Old 03-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Mudding

id say if you are trying to isolate a misfiring coil then unbolt the coil bracket and swap coils around on the bracket to see of the miss follows the coil you moved.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:54 AM

Mine is popping P1316 erratically and is varying at really cold temp, runs like a beast any other time. Plugs look sooty, I reviewed the previous codes against the recent attachment that Savannah provided on the Gems and ECU and such, it talked about lean conditions, where mine had ended to run rich.

I have the NGK wires which I am sure are good.

I got a 20% off coupon on Champions and they are on sale so I plan to grab a couple of sets and throw in for now and see what happens next.

As soon as I get a few bucks together I also plan to get an Ultraguage and narrow in on each monitor as I want to.

Mine only has 120K on it and sounds great 99% of the time. The damn tach comes and goes at will, but the ultraguage will resolve that issue. Tach acts like a cracked trace on a circuit board or something of that nature. Wish I had another tach to sub in.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Danny, how's your alternator.....usually that's at fault when the tach starts to act up, I've read others who've had that lead to all kinds of goofy things happening...????

Old 03-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I have a volt meter with a "hertz" scale, so it can read frequency to a certain point. Reading the tach lead could tell you if the problem is at the tach or the wire bundle or alternator. Could be a ground on the tach lead from alternator, or loose connection.

Quick Reply: P1316 Discovery I issue resolved