Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

P1318 and ABS failed to blink code

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 06:24 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1318 and ABS failed to blink code

Hi,
I have tried pretty well everything to get my 98 D1 to pass emissions.
The truck ran fine, the only problem is the P1318 code, which turns off misfire monitors so the ECU threw a P code which will not allow me to pass the emission test.
Even after I reset this code, it will become a pending fault immediately and after 2 engine starts, it will trigger the CEL and became a fault.

From reading here, I first tried the ABS blink code test. Connected Pin 5 and 15 on OBD2 connector(C2083) and nothing happens. The ABS light is on and will not blink at all. Pulled the ABS warning light relay and the ABS light goes out. Plug it back in and it lights up, it just won't go into diagnostic mode. I even checked to make sure it is the white/pink wire and the sensor ground wire in the plug that I am connecting.

Here are the steps that I tried so far:
- All fuses and relays are good.
- There is continuity between pin 1(C1071) of red engine ECU and pin 29 (C2084) of ABS ECU.
- I even tried another ABS ECU and still nothing.
- I know the VSS is separate from the ABS system, but I checked it anyway. I am getting correct road speed from engine ECU and speedo also working properly.
- Checked for obvious wiring damage and found nothing.
- Replaced and adjusted the brake light switch.
- Replaced passenger side knock sensor.(Physically broken from previous owner, also notice that it won't even throw a CEL when unplugged)

My question is: how often do these ABS ECU fails? Perhaps my second ECU is also faulty?

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Have you looked in the rave for suggestions? I am lucky to not have emissions right now

Old 01-31-2014, 10:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

When my ABS ECU failed I still pulled a blink code that said the ECU was hard faulted and the code description was to replace unit. I sent Paul Grant an email and he had one for an extremely reasonable price (as always). Has worked since then, three years now.

One thing I've found on these trucks is there is no electrical contact/connector weather protection so I've added dielectric to every connector on the truck and it's worked out well for five years now. Double check your grounds too, they are the number one electrical problem as they get corroded. Coat to protect them once clean.

What site are you using for the blink codes?

Old 02-01-2014, 08:15 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your replies. Tom: I will try to do the pinout test according to RAVE, will get to that when I have a chance.
Ihscouts: Yeah, that is why I thought the ABS ECU is completely fried since at least it SHOULD blink codes. I traced all the ground and even cleaned them but still no luck. I did suspected the connectors too and have checked them all and no corrosion there. I know exactly what you are saying about corrosion issues.
As for blink codes, I got them on this forum. I think on the sticky post on the D1 section.
Will update this if I found out the issue.
Thanks,