Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Painting next week.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

yeah i love the way the vinyl looks but i know it wont hold up on the trail, plus rattle can touch ups are easy!

Old 09-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gNlwLYc_Ayg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CAR WRAPPING GREECE 3M BLACK MATTE RANGE ROVER - YouTube
I almost blew my brains out doing my headliner, i DEF dont have enough patience for that. Ugh, does look nice though. Looks like rattle can is the way to go.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, you guys are barbaric. Secondly, I like your style.

I really wanted to go with a flat black paint job like the old hot rods but after doing some digging I found that it shows grease and finger prints way to much. Brush scratches, mud, bit O' tar don't bother me but the last thing I wan't is a bunch of greasy @ss finger prints and smudge marks from some local kids or God knows who all over my truck. The proper way to do it from what I've read is to do a regular black base coat (enamel/urethane) then do a matte clear coat on top. That's what you see with all those Italian sports cars and they evidently still have to constantly clean off the hand mark.

To much hassle. Just gonna shoot it with cheap automotive paint, clear coat it and pau, done. Fresh canvas for new battle wounds. Replacing all the striping and gaskets is needed anyway so good call on that.

I def like the darker BRG color. Didn't really think about the two tone similarity to the FJs but weren't the old series rovers painted two tone? I could be mistaken. Main reason for the white roof is heat. I'm half way done redoing the interior black.

Of course there is always sandglow. After looking around though it's just a tad over my budget.

Turf, what size compressor do you have?

Old 09-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Mudding

Just watched that link. Holy crap that vinyl wrap is sick. Wonder what it would cost. Lol I have a hard enough time putting stickers on the right way.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376442

Oh man. I'm really torn now. Doesn't look toooooooooo hard. . . . . . . . . .

Last edited by JamesDisco97; 09-30-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do it. I wanna do it. I'll help, but more importantly i want you to go for it so you can give me advice when i do it in the spring....PLEASE DO IT

Old 09-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

oh and the compressor is a stand up unit, gotta be at least 40 gallon

Old 10-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Mudding

So I sourced out some vinyl. Cheapest I could find ended up being about 500 for a 60"yd roll, mat black, and that is the good stuff, meant for vehicle wrapping. That bmw supposedly took all 25 yds so I don't know if you'd be able to cover the rover in one roll. Of course they also sell rolls in 50yds but you get no discount for added length so you are still going to end up paying 1k.

For that price and another 200 bucks I could paint the truck, put on new shoes and be comfortable for the November outing.

I think if I go through my friends business I might be able to source the 50 yrd roll for about 800. That's still a lot of cash just for cosmetics and Turf your green paint looks great. Way better than my beat up red. Hell I'd just leave it if I were you.

BTW. I hit 100,000 miles hung over to all hell on my way home from that bachelor party. My stomach was churning and my mind fixated on the girls from Cheerleaders the night before. Thanks for the pregame mate.

Last edited by JamesDisco97; 10-03-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

James, are you coming up to ROTR at Rausch?

Old 10-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Mudding

I'm seriously considering it. I've never done any heavy off roading other than sand. It sounds like a great opportunity to 'get me some ejumacation' and put this suspension to good use. Looking and saving hard right now for new shoes but I'm being told I'll be fine with my 245/70s. I'd like a little more clearance on my diffs.

Last edited by JamesDisco97; 10-03-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JamesDisco97
I'm seriously considering it. I've never done any heavy off roading other than sand and it sounds like a great opportunity to 'get me some ejumacation' and put this suspension to good use. Looking and saving hard right now for new shoes but I'm being told I'll be fine with my 245/70s. I'd like a little more clearance on my diffs.

I had 245/70 all terrains first time I was there, there was also a bone stock D2 on street tires. Its a good time! I got Turf talked into coming too. I'll be the guy with the stock epsom green D1 with SD rack if you come up

Quick Reply: Painting next week.