Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Parking and dash lights not on - is it the switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 07:22 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking and dash lights not on - is it the switch

I have a 1998 D1 that I bought today and i'm trying to trace down an issue. I have no parking lights or dash lights...the headlights work fine. When i turn the switch very slowly, the lights will turn on, but as soon as i turn i a little further they go back off. Two questions:

1: I think this is the switch, do you think that is the case?
2: I've removed the shroud and the two little screws that hold the switch in place, but it is still in there tight. how do i get the switch out?

Thanks for any help.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes on #1. May have to turn steering wheel 90 degrees.

Here is photo from tech manual, called the RAVE, which includes workshop, electrical, and owners manuals. Free download below.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d1 light switch.pdf (520.6 KB, 122 views)
Old 11-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yup, bad switch.
The DI and DII use the same switch so if you want to buy used that opens up your options.
And yes on turning the steering wheel until you can reach the screws that hold the switch on.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can save money by buying used from either Will Tillery or Paul Grant. Their contact info is in various signatures on here or do a search for them.

Will sold me one delivered for if I remember correectly it was 35 bucks. It is the turn signal stalk.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:57 AM
8th Gear

Thank you very much for the responses. I've removed the two screws, but that switch assembly is still in there tight. I saw another post mentioning using a jewelrs screw driver to pop it out, but i didn't understand where exactly they were pressing.

Does anyone know the trick to popping out the assembly once i have the screws out?

Old 11-07-2011, 01:36 PM

I have my old one downstairs, I will have to take another look at it. Seems like I had to sort of pry it out. I will dig it out of my large box of removed items and see if there are any clues left. I will get back to you.

On mine, If I forced it around with pliers, the lights worked that time but you had to force it each time, so I figured it was shot. Will got one to me in a couple of days.

Some people on here had written up threads where they dis-assembled theirs and did some kind of internal hocus pocus repair and reassembled them, but i gave up on that and got a used one from Will. It works fine.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:18 PM
8th Gear

I got my new switches from Will and they worked like a charm.

I figured out how to get the old ones out...just pull them pretty hard.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:06 PM

Will is the man for used parts at a great price. Glad I was able to help you out.

Yes you pull it straight out from where it sits once the screws are out.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:26 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Some people on here had written up threads where they dis-assembled theirs and did some kind of internal hocus pocus repair and reassembled them, but i gave up on that and got a used one from Will. It works fine.
It really isnt that hard. I just took it apart, 4 screws. The contacts were absolutely nasty from corrosion caused by moisture... so I took my dremel, attatched the wire wheel and cleaned the contacts. I put some dielectric grease on the contacts so they wouldnt corrode again and put it all back together and it works like new. It took me 15 minutes. The hard part was finding where the two springs went cuz it all flew out at me when I took it apart. The two springs go in the main piece with all the contacts. Trust me, its very simple to fix.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by RedDragonV09
It really isnt that hard. I just took it apart, 4 screws. The contacts were absolutely nasty from corrosion caused by moisture... so I took my dremel, attatched the wire wheel and cleaned the contacts. I put some dielectric grease on the contacts so they wouldnt corrode again and put it all back together and it works like new. It took me 15 minutes. The hard part was finding where the two springs went cuz it all flew out at me when I took it apart. The two springs go in the main piece with all the contacts. Trust me, its very simple to fix.

Well I kept my old one if anyone wants it, let me know. Just cover shipping and a beer or two and it is yours.