Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Parts List Check For Front Cover Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parts List Check For Front Cover Gasket Replacement

I am ordering the parts for replacing the front timing cover, and I wanted to make sure I am not missing anything. Here is what I have so far.

* Front cover gasket (Genuine)
* Water pump gasket (Genuine)
* Front crankshaft oil seal (Genuine)
* Tube of Hylomar Blue
* Front Cover Bolt Kit - GEMS
* KD Tools 3136-76 Ford Fan Clutch Wrench 36mm Long
* Schley (SP 61600) Universal Fan Clutch Wrench

Anything else I might need while I have it torn down?

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the O ring for the cam sensor. You would be better off ditching the Hylomar and getting a tube of HondaBond or ThreeBond. Any motorcycle shop carries ThreeBond, just tell them you want the stuff to seal the case halves, they'll know what you want. It's about $8 a tube and is impervious to fuel, oil, and coolant. You should probably drop the oil pan and clean it and the screen. I use Ultra Gray permatex after everything is clean and oil free. You need only a thin bead, you can use some long bolts to guide the pan back up so you don't smear it.

You don't really need the fan clutch tools, a 10" adjustable and 1/2" breaker bar will work fine. Use the breaker bar to add tension to the belt and smack the adjustable toward the passenger side to loosen the clutch.

The gasket can be a biotch to get off. I use a brand new wood chisel and keep it flat to the gasket surface to peel the gasket off. You do have to be careful with it but it is the fastest way to get the old gasket off.

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 04-01-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Get the O ring for the cam sensor. You would be better off ditching the Hylomar and getting a tube of HondaBond or ThreeBond. Any motorcycle shop carries ThreeBond, just tell them you want the stuff to seal the case halves, they'll know what you want. It's about $8 a tube and is impervious to fuel, oil, and coolant. You should probably drop the oil pan and clean it and the screen. I use Ultra Gray permatex after everything is clean and oil free. You need only a thin bead, you can use some long bolts to guide the pan back up so you don't smear it.

You don't really need the fan clutch tools, a 10" adjustable and 1/2" breaker bar will work fine. Use the breaker bar to add tension to the belt and smack the adjustable toward the passenger side to loosen the clutch.

The gasket can be a biotch to get off. I use a brand new wood chisel and keep it flat to the gasket surface to peel the gasket off. You do have to be careful with it but it is the fastest way to get the old gasket off.
Ah, right, the pan gasket! EDIT: o ring, too. Thx!

So, is HondaBond or ThreeBond that much better than Hylomar Blue?

Last edited by LeakyDisco; 04-01-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ThreeBond and HondaBond(as well as KawasakiBond and Yamabond) are used in place of gaskets on dirt bikes mostly. I also use it on the valley pan end seals, around the coolant ports on the head and intake, and for both sections of the plenum. It's easier to get and cheaper than the loctite stuff they say to use. You don't even need the gasket, the ThreeBond will seal and never leak if you cleaned everything good. I would have used it for the oil pan but is isn't meant to take up large clearances, best for precisely machined surfaces.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about while you have it off: replace the oil pump, and timing chain!! Not because they may be bad, but because you already are more than half way done with doing that job....

Old 04-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by oilspotLR
How about while you have it off: replace the oil pump, and timing chain!! Not because they may be bad, but because you already are more than half way done with doing that job....
I wouldn't waste the money on those things, with only 80k on his engine and if its running fine, why fix what ain't broke?
Yes you are already there and that would be a great time to do it if it needed to be done.
But I wouldn't touch it.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
I wouldn't waste the money on those things, with only 80k on his engine and if its running fine, why fix what ain't broke?
Yes you are already there and that would be a great time to do it if it needed to be done.
But I wouldn't touch it.
I'll certainly check those items, but I don't plan on replacing unless it's necessary. I just want to fix the leak in the cover and the one at the crankshaft oil seal.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Rock Crawling

Alright. Trigger pulled on the order. Hopefully I didn't forget anything important.

Thanks guys!

Old 07-06-2012, 10:25 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone needs help or is in need of gaskets and other parts, contact us at 650-591-9137 and visit our website; MikeVailEnterpriseGaskets.Webs.Com

Old 07-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let me ask this question: While you have it that far, what about the water pump?

Even though it is only at 80K, the truck was built in either 96 or 97. That waterpump may be a prime candidate while you are that far into it.

Quick Reply: Parts List Check For Front Cover Gasket Replacement