Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Parts List Check For Front Cover Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Let me ask this question: While you have it that far, what about the water pump?

Even though it is only at 80K, the truck was built in either 96 or 97. That waterpump may be a prime candidate while you are that far into it.
Hey Danny,

I considered that. I don't have any records that prove the pump was replaced, but there is obvious wear on the pump mounting bolts, as if it has been replaced at least once. Also, there is black RTV on the pump seam/gasket. Unless that was done at the factory, it may ave been done by either the PO or the POs before (5-owner truck at this point).

With all that said, I have not done the work yet. Parts are in the garage. I just returned (today) from a 200+ mile round trip to Mount Rainier for a family camp adventure, and the front cover leak hasn't gotten any worse. I had a full load on the roof rack, plus a full family and gear on the inside, and although there were many semi-sluggish elevation climbs (my D1 is SOOOO underpowered!!), the temp gauge remained stable.

Sooo...I have a short camp trip planned in a couple of days, and then a major forest road trip in about a month. I will likely pull the cover off and do the job before that trip because I am paranoid about being in BFE and having a coolant system failure. And I may in fact replace the pump since I'm in there.

But then, while I'm there should I replace the timing chain and the oil pump?

Ay ya!!!!!!

The maintenance never ends. But I love it.

Gee...that was long winded.

- Chris

Old 07-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LeakyDisco
Hey Danny,

I considered that. I don't have any records that prove the pump was replaced, but there is obvious wear on the pump mounting bolts, as if it has been replaced at least once. Also, there is black RTV on the pump seam/gasket. Unless that was done at the factory, it may ave been done by either the PO or the POs before (5-owner truck at this point).

With all that said, I have not done the work yet. Parts are in the garage. I just returned (today) from a 200+ mile round trip to Mount Rainier for a family camp adventure, and the front cover leak hasn't gotten any worse. I had a full load on the roof rack, plus a full family and gear on the inside, and although there were many semi-sluggish elevation climbs (my D1 is SOOOO underpowered!!), the temp gauge remained stable.

Sooo...I have a short camp trip planned in a couple of days, and then a major forest road trip in about a month. I will likely pull the cover off and do the job before that trip because I am paranoid about being in BFE and having a coolant system failure. And I may in fact replace the pump since I'm in there.

But then, while I'm there should I replace the timing chain and the oil pump?

Ay ya!!!!!!

The maintenance never ends. But I love it.

Gee...that was long winded.

- Chris
Btw, she still leaks after all the work I've done, so the LeakyDisco handle carries on!!