Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Passneger side water leak 1995 Discovery I

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:58 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Passneger side water leak 1995 Discovery I

Hello all,
The current issue is when it rains, water is slowly leaking into my passenger side footwell. I removed the seat and the carpet because the windshield was originally leaking on my divers side. I was able to get it resealed and took care of that leak. This past week I checked my sunroof drains. I don't believe its the problem, A) When I put the hose on the windshield only it leaks in. B) When on sunroof with towel stopping it from going down windshield it doesn't leak.
I bought silicon caulking and caulked the area between the windshield (under the black trim piece) to the hood. I also caulked around the intake for the air vent (just because) I then sprayed it with liquid rubber. Its a product that is for undercoating.
Does anyone have any suggestions where to look for the water leak? I thought maybe it was the heater core but its NOT coolant. It also leaks in on the right side of the dash by the door.
Any thoughts are welcomed and appreciated,
Thank you!

Old 06-01-2012, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

condensate (water) drain for AC? Perhaps nipples under the tranny tunnel are plugged up.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
condensate (water) drain for AC? Perhaps nipples under the tranny tunnel are plugged up.
Checked that, they drain perfectly. I made sure it was all the way connected and it is.
I'm thinking that the dash is going to need to come out...

Old 06-01-2012, 09:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you recall, I had a big rust thread a while back.

Theorizing here, but from what I could tell through dismantling, my floor rust was due to a leak halfway up the A-pillars, which are also rusted.

In mine, it wasnt a roof thing. I have holes rusted in the area where the hood hinges are.

To fix it up, it looks like fender removal is in the future. Thankfully, that doesnt look difficult.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69
If you recall, I had a big rust thread a while back.

Theorizing here, but from what I could tell through dismantling, my floor rust was due to a leak halfway up the A-pillars, which are also rusted.

In mine, it wasnt a roof thing. I have holes rusted in the area where the hood hinges are.

To fix it up, it looks like fender removal is in the future. Thankfully, that doesnt look difficult.
I read your thread and luckily my rust is NOT that bad at all. I can sand it off really easily. I think I need to remove the fender (right) to see if I can get a better look at the a piller wall.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh, I didnt mean to imply that yours was as bad, haha. Just letting you know of a possible leak source that isnt readily apparent.

Obviously not a disco, but this arrow points to the area I am talking about.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69
Oh, I didnt mean to imply that yours was as bad, haha. Just letting you know of a possible leak source that isnt readily apparent.

Obviously not a disco, but this arrow points to the area I am talking about.

Where is that located? Is that the door hinge that attaches to the side wall? Is it just rotated the wrong way?

**UPDATE**
Just went out and put water on the windshield and the water is actually draining off the windshield, over the black seal at the bottom, then down behind the black piece of plastic and straight into the air intake for the cabin. Now the question is, how do I fix that leak? I should add that I recently had a water leak on the drivers side that caused the windshield to be resealed. I didn't notice a water leak on the passenger side before this reseal.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oilspot- reach up into the pass footwell above the side plastic kick panel and feel the sheetmetal up there at the side of the bulkhead. I found on my drivers side when I did that I accidentally knocked all the crusty rust out and made it worse- so now latter in the summer- it's fenders off for me. I think ptschram posted a pic of a repair in that area in Pinky's rust post. Good luck.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by black sheep
Oilspot- reach up into the pass footwell above the side plastic kick panel and feel the sheetmetal up there at the side of the bulkhead. I found on my drivers side when I did that I accidentally knocked all the crusty rust out and made it worse- so now latter in the summer- it's fenders off for me. I think ptschram posted a pic of a repair in that area in Pinky's rust post. Good luck.
blacksheep- It does have some rust on it. Last week I bought a can of great stuff and silicone caulking. I put the great stuff foam inside the little hole and put as much in as I could. I then waited for it to dry and silicon caulked around it. I also did this to the black plug on the A-Pillers. Still didn't solve my leak. I have the fender off and I can't see any issues with the caulking that is currently on it. I am going to put more silicon caulk over it tomorrow to see if perhaps the old stuff has a small crack.
I have never wanted to get rid of this truck as much as I do right now. I just can't find the source of the issue! AHAHAHAHH Considering I could part it, then buy another for 2k is sounding really good right now! (RANT OVER) l

Old 06-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilspotLR
blacksheep- It does have some rust on it. Last week I bought a can of great stuff and silicone caulking. I put the great stuff foam inside the little hole and put as much in as I could. I then waited for it to dry and silicon caulked around it. I also did this to the black plug on the A-Pillers. Still didn't solve my leak. I have the fender off and I can't see any issues with the caulking that is currently on it. I am going to put more silicon caulk over it tomorrow to see if perhaps the old stuff has a small crack.
I have never wanted to get rid of this truck as much as I do right now. I just can't find the source of the issue! AHAHAHAHH Considering I could part it, then buy another for 2k is sounding really good right now! (RANT OVER) l
Sorry to hear... It can be difficult to stop a leak from the inside! Or the outside for that matter. One other thing I found- before I just stopped worrying about my leaks, is that there is a hole in the A pillar (factory) under the rubber glazing. It's almost in the middle by the tweeter iirc. If you lift the glazing a bit you may be able to see it. I silly-coned it but that was before I saw the holes in the side of my bulkhead. So that did'nt help me- but have a look if you hav'nt yet. Good luck

Quick Reply: Passneger side water leak 1995 Discovery I