Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Pics of MEANDEROVER

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
thats some crazy stuff danny......maybe you should pull the metal across the grill to cover the vacancies under the lights.

It is still a work in progress. I was looking at repositioning/relocating that towel bar cooler for the tranny that mounts in front of the rad behind the standard grill, then I want to redo a front bumper that is more of a real bumper but still have good approach angle.

I was given some awesome steel racks from a steel mill (USS) training center that the son and cousin Frank's company bought the building. These were the mounting frames for two huge rollaround PLC training simulator. I gutted and sold the PLC's and got the racks and a lot of hardware left over to use as needed. I was considering cutting down one of the frames to make a new front and rear box style bumper from.

Trim the fenders to gain better approach/departure angles. I saw some hot rods at the American Legion Car Cruise that had some awesome sheet metal work done on them. One El Camino had the back wheel wells cut out and redone to accomodate some super wide back tires.

My wheel wells are beginning to show rust at the inside seams, so I was thinking about cutting them out and boxing in the rear compartment with some beefed up custom work.

The grille will be finalized after I redo the bumpers. The existing plastic will all be removed. Then I could redo the blinkers which are all crazed and cracked anyway. Some cool LED's will be the replacement blinkers and new fogs, spots, and headlights all to come.

Using the plate steel and expanded metal, I can mount kust about anything anywhere.

I really felt like using the Whiskey Case from my wife's Grandpap's garage was a special touch. It has been here as long as the house has, and now it has a very special place and purpose.

The grandkids love the way they can put their things in that back compartment when I have the seat in that is.

The best thing is the satisfaction of repurposing old "JUNK" into something functional again. It was fun! It is definitely unique. It did take me a long time to get it all pieced together.

The molding I used to reinforce and refit the whiskey crate was the scrap pieces after I panelled our living room and dining room several years ago.

I even used hand tools that were Kathy's Grandpaps. Some of them were handmade or very early things that are rarely even seen these days. Some of the tacks were antique copper brads.

The padded console top and all the switches were remounted. The window switches are readily accessible on the front and the seat adjustment and heater controls are mounted under the padded top.

Just an Old Redneck screwing around in the garage with some old junk.

Skylar (Big Bubba) and I took a Black Sharpie and relettered the hood, then signed the front bumper. He is already looking forward to driving me around in it "When you get old PAPPAP".

Now I need one for Sheldon (Buckaroo) and another one for Sebastian (Buster)

Looks better than it did!

Old 05-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You drank all the contents first....right?

Old 05-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Baja

Her grandfather bought the case in the late thirties and sipped on it for the next few years. That is how they were. After that it sat in the garage full of PapPap's tools for about 50 years until I revived it.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Most importantly looks like you got a new camera! Those pictures def aren't from a Sony Mavica. I'm proud of you.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Baja

Turf, that is indeed my trusty old Mavica CDM200. First i found some memorex 3 inch cd's the camera worked but rejected the media. I then found one of my old Sony CD's that was all scratched up, used some cleaner and some of that scratch polish for DVD's the grandkids had, and low and behold that damn thing works fine.

It has that high class automatic Zeiss lens and that was on fine resolution with automatic apertures and all that, set for portraits. It will record hundreds of pics or as long a video as you care to make. Then I have to take the cd and put it in the computer to transfer and then re-record.

It is still a cool camera and I bought it around 1996 or so.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Baja

I restored two original Tommy Armour Great Scot Putters last night. They are fantastic putters, I regripped one and reconditioned the leather grip on the other one. Beautiful old putters.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I restored two original Tommy Armour Great Scot Putters last night. They are fantastic putters, I regripped one and reconditioned the leather grip on the other one. Beautiful old putters.
Pics?

Old 05-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Baja

I gave one to my cousin Frank. The other one I will shoot some pics of it and some of the old brass Bullsyeyes that I prefer.

Golf is one of my real passions. I enjoy restoring and playing the old vintage or classic clubs that were hand made by true craftsmen. They are like a work of art.

I gave Skylar another restored Bullseye for his first communion this past weekend. It was the first one I did like Scotty Cameron does with the letters impression stamped on the face of the club spelling out BULLS EYE on the face of the club around the sweet spot.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Baja
Default Pics of the putters

Because you asked, here's a few pics of the putters I have restored.

My favorite is the Brass Bullseye Original. It can be used as either right or left handed since it is double faced. There are two other Bullsye LaFemme models that have a low flange on the back and were designed initially for women to give a little extra heft for those long putts.

The other one is a Tommy Armour Silver Scot also know as a Iron Master Grand (IMG). These were made by MacGregor primarily but a few others such as Wilson and PGA also produced them or very similar ones. This Silver Scot has the original Leather Wrapped Grip that is in excellent shape. It has a green original finish on the shaft that has come off in a few places but is still in pretty good shape. The lettering on the bottom of the face is 95% intact and the face was in excellent shape.

All three of those bullsyeyes were severely dinged up but I was able to hand polish them to a nice smooth finish. The lettering on the bottom is original and is intact on 2 of the 3. I replaced the grips on 2 of them with period appropriate grips that I install with an air compressor and nozzle so they are immediately playable and the grips can be removed and replaced easily.

I like the ability to individually fit each club to a specific players hands.

What do you think about these beauties?

If you look closely at the two pics of the putter heads, you will notice that each putter face shows the reflection of the putter that is sitting in front of it.

The brass is so soft that I have to be careful what I use to polish them with as some materials will induce more scratches. I have found microfiber with a little light oil works well. I also use soft cottom and a little bit of
0000 powered pumice or rottestone from an old hardware store. 0000 Steel wool works well also.

If any of you enjoy golf and want an old school putter let me know. I have a few available or will gladly restore one for you.

Attached Thumbnails Pics of MEANDEROVER-may-putters-029.jpg   Pics of MEANDEROVER-may-putters-052.jpg   Pics of MEANDEROVER-may-putters-045.jpg   Pics of MEANDEROVER-may-putters-047.jpg   Pics of MEANDEROVER-may-putters-069.jpg  

Old 05-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Baja

Here's a few more pics of the putters.

Ignore the clutter in the background.

There is also a Stan Thompson Ginty in there with the putters. That was the first Trouble Wood ever produced. The bottom of the club resembles the keel of a sailboat to glide thru the rough and hit the ball solidly. I like the blend of the wooden face and the polished metal keel bottom. It is an original from the 1930's era. Stan Thompson was a Canadian protoge of Bobby Jones. He was a great player as well as a club and golf course designer.

I enjoy the historical aspects of the game of golf. I especially enjoy the looks I get when I unzip the rain cover of one my classic bags and pull out one of these beauties and make a beautiful shot.

Nothing has the true feel of a Bullseye.

Attached Thumbnails Pics of MEANDEROVER-may-putters-044.jpg   Pics of MEANDEROVER-may-putters-062.jpg   Pics of MEANDEROVER-may-putters-036.jpg   Pics of MEANDEROVER-may-putters-024.jpg   Pics of MEANDEROVER-may-putters-033.jpg  

Quick Reply: Pics of MEANDEROVER