Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Please help! No crank from disco 1.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! No crank from disco 1.

Hey everyone,
So I just got my newly purchased D1 out of the shop after getting its trans rebuilt. Ran beautifully, drove wonderfully and all was well. Until I shut it off. Now there is no crank whatsoever from the starter-no click, no nothing. like there is no voltage to it. I believe it to be immobilised but the red LED is not staying on when I go to turn the key...however the alarm will still go berserk when you disconnect and reconnect the battery or poke it with a stick to make it go off. Wondering if this is an immobiliser issue or a Park-Neutral Position issue. Part of me still thinks its the immobiliser but I just don't know. The fuel pump is whirring and it will run fine if you jump the terminals on the starter...but I'm afraid to do that to be honest (I don't like electricity) which leads me to think PNP. Is there any way to bypass it or set it properly? This is my only working car so I need it ASAP...and don't have a ton of money to throw at the problem after the trans job. Any help would be much appreciated-I'm totally screwed if she won't run!!!
Not to mention everyone is laughing at me at this point for buying a british car...I'd quite like to shut them up.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Will depend on age of the D1, the GEMS versions have a more complex alarm/ECU interface. How did trans people test drive it?

Reach under hood on firewall and push a reset button on top of the inertia switch.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Tried the inertia switch already to no avail. doesn't seem like much of a button though, seems hard as a rock.
She is a '99 D1 with a July '98 build date, 4HP22 'box and two button remote. Read about the spider, and the only reason I'm not leaning towards that is it has never cranked for me once. Basically, the shop jumped the starter solenoid off the battery cable with a metal prong of sorts, lots of sparks though and frankly being electrocuted does not sound like my idea of a good time. They did this for me in order to drive it home. It drove absolutely perfectly, no security light or anything of the sort so I thought I may have been in the clear. Not so. When the trans was done and it would only go in reverse there were no such problems firing her up though, so this is new. I'm honestly totally frazzled and frustrated...tried almost everything I've read short of a spider rebuild, remote works absolutely fine (I even replaced the remote battery and have disconnected the car battery 1000 times)...I don't know. I like to think I'm quite good at diagnosing things at the least but this has me stumped. I have no security light whatsoever after unlocking the car and trying to turn the key....which I don't think is right. I know it works though, because when it locks it blinks...

Old 06-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Three Wheeling

And this is magnified a million times by the fact my daily driver's motor just had the intermediate shaft fail and the motor skipped timing and wreaked havoc on it, leaving me completely carless when basically all of my business is in a car.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Forget the spider, the GEMS system is more complex. Sounds like neutral safety switch.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Three Wheeling

is there any way to bypass the neutral switch for the moment? If I can get this thing to run, I will owe you as much beer as you wish, sir!

Old 06-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Three Wheeling

Also, this may be more applicable to RRC's but the reverse lights do come on. HOWEVER-I just noticed that even when the car is in neutral it wont allow it to change transfer case gear...

Old 06-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Passenger side kick panel - behind it are relays. K137 is the starter relay. It will have a black with orange wire. Connect that wire to ground. That is what is done by the shifter safety switch.

Left hand side of transmission has a plug for this that must be connected, C323. It will have 5 pins but only four wires, green&yellow, green&brown, black&orange, black&yellow. May have been left un-connected. If this is the problem, then should not need to jumper relay.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm going to go test it out now, we shall see what happens!

Ok dumb question-but what colour relay is K137-I cant find it and where is it printed?

Last edited by formel3; 06-09-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Page 494 of 591 for the 1997 D1 electrical guide, picture # 204.

Quick Reply: Please help! No crank from disco 1.