Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Plug wire replacing 98 Land Rover

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 07:28 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug wire replacing 98 Land Rover

I have the Anniversary Edition, if it matter. 4.0

I have read horror stories about how hard the wires are to get off (and on) the coils because of access issues regarding the intake manifold.

Am I missing something? Mine are all in line, parallel to the fire wall. a couple of inches from the end of the intake end. There is easily 4 inches clearance above the wire caps, and a couple of inches clearance to the fire wall. What is going on here, or are my eyes deceiving me. I don't want to order 8mm wires and they not be what I need.

Thanks

Old 08-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 8mm Kingsborn wires and they work great. I dunno who told you horror stories about installing wires but they are pretty straight forward. If you get 8mm get new wire holders that fit the wires or you can rig them up with zip ties. Just make sure the boots are angled up away from the exhaust manifold. I think i had mine changed out in about 5-10 minutes.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:54 PM
6th Gear

Stories like having to remove the intake or having to make a special tool and still getting busted knuckles. (all on this this forum)

Thanks for the answer.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DRA2650
Stories like having to remove the intake or having to make a special tool and still getting busted knuckles. (all on this this forum)

Thanks for the answer.
If you've got a DII the plugs at the rear are a pita but...the hardest thing about wires are the plugs themselves if they've not been changed. Take your time all will be right.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

It's the DII's where it's a pain. D1's are easy.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by antichrist
It's the DII's where it's a pain. D1's are easy.

yup just go one at a time, and if you got the larger aftermarket wires dont try to jam them into your factory holders

Old 08-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket
yup just go one at a time, and if you got the larger aftermarket wires dont try to jam them into your factory holders

Go ahead and buy the 8MM and get new wire combs for 8mm.

The D2 is the problem one. Change plugs at same time and use a dab of the dieletric grease. You may want the gold tipped plugs with the white high temp ceramic bodies to match your 98 Anniversary Edition (if it matters).

And also plan on updating all fluis and filters if they are not fresh.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Go ahead and buy the 8MM and get new wire combs for 8mm.

The D2 is the problem one. Change plugs at same time and use a dab of the dieletric grease. You may want the gold tipped plugs with the white high temp ceramic bodies to match your 98 Anniversary Edition (if it matters).

And also plan on updating all fluis and filters if they are not fresh.
Yep...what he said. Believe it or not it's actually fun to change all the fluids out. God I have issues.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:17 AM
Drifting

i have a 96 DI, i ordered new wires and plugs from NAPA and i just noticed that they are 7mm, are these ok to use or should i swap them out for 8mm? Also, i have had the disco for 8 years and have never had the plugs replaced, how difficult will this be, is there anything i can put on them to get them out easier. (i've never done a tune up myself, but am up for the challenge)

Thanks

Old 08-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adigerol77
Yep...what he said. Believe it or not it's actually fun to change all the fluids out. God I have issues.

agreed, it is nice to know that its been done and to be checking the condition of the fluid coming out

Quick Reply: Plug wire replacing 98 Land Rover